In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In other words, a semicircle and a family of abutting semicircles constructed on its diameter are isoperimetric.
- They usually exhibit a cross section of roughly a semicircle.
- It is two unequal semicircles (with diameters AB and BC) stuck together along their diameters.
- His point is well taken, for if circles were defined in terms of semicircles, then presumably semicircles would be defined in terms of the quarter-circles of which they are composed, and so on, ad infinitum.
- In the 70°C samples, semicircles and sinusoidal bends are observed.
- The crown was crafted out of platinum and designed as three semicircles, one in the center and one on each side.
- Just beyond their embrace, their handlers pawed the ground, growling and barking on their hands and knees, held at bay by double semicircles etched in the dirt that demarcated their sides.
- The solution, a semicircle whose diameter is on the given line, is obtained by reflecting the curve in the line and invoking the isoperimetric property of the circle.
- Each half consisted of a line that was a semicircle.
- The semicircles were made with a sweep of watercolor consisting of Reid's usual diluted mix of red, yellow and blue - a blend that resolves as gray.
- To the left of the ‘dagger’ a black triangle is gently crowned by a semicircle, gloomily dark gray.
- Taki - she hasn't gotten his last name and probably never will - has big dark semicircles of anxiety sweat under the arms of his button-down shirt.
- The most ornamental part of doors was their heads, which took on various shapes, including triangles, semicircles or arcs.
- This he affected by circumscribing a semicircle about an isosceles right-angled triangle and a segment of a circle similar to those cut off by the sides.
- Throughout the building, circles and semicircles mix with straight lines.
- A stationary front is denoted by semicircles and triangles on alternate sides of the front.
- It is a complete circle and then down on the bottom half there is a semicircle with a little circle above it.
- It is well burnished only on the exterior body, which is decorated with a series of engraved ticked circles and semicircles.
- It appears in all the canvases and works on paper in different combinations and permutations, linked by linear extensions that form varying kinds of S-curves or semicircles.
- His method uses a semicircle rotating in three dimensional space and the curve formed by it cutting another three dimensional surface.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.