In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a semidetached house — una casa pareada / adosada
- Nearly 40 new homes will be incorporated into a modern development consisting of semi-detached houses, mews houses and bungalows.
- This building was originally a pair of semi-detached houses, part of the first 50 houses contracted out by Skipton Urban Council to be built after the war.
- The first phase of 25 three-bedroom semi-detached bungalows sold out within two weeks last autumn.
- The building firm is also proposing to build two pairs of semi-detached houses and three sets of four linked houses comprising small, terraced properties.
- The two storey semi-detached residence consists of a large ground floor area, previously a licensed premises, and toilets.
- The white, almost gleaming walls of the semi-detached houses spelt wealth and comfort.
- Another four semi-detached homes and three detached houses are planned for the rest of the half hectare site.
- In Clontarf, there is strong demand for four-bed, semi-detached houses and the shortage of such houses is pushing up prices, he said.
- He favoured communal green spaces, cul-de-sacs, semi-detached houses and terraces with gardens front and back.
- Red House today stands secluded behind a pleasantly weathered red-brick wall surrounded by a forest of bungalows and semi-detached houses.
- He had seen the boys trying to climb a low wall outside his semi-detached home in Haydock, near St Helens.
- A new development of 36 detached and semi-detached houses and bungalows is now on the market in Blackrock, Co Louth.
- The house is a three-bedroom semi-detached bungalow in a cul-de-sac development off the Delgany Road.
- Ashford Court is a development of semi-detached houses in Grange near Douglas.
- The semi-detached bungalows have their own private garden and side entrance.
- The scheme will include a mix of semi-detached houses, townhouses and apartments.
- Firefighters had to force an entry through a side door of the semi-detached house in Chorley Old Road, Johnson Fold.
- Detectives sealed off the area around the path which is between a row of terraced houses and semi-detached homes on a council estate.
- People living near the family's semi-detached bungalow said Bradley was a typical, fun-loving young man.
- The rock we're diving on is about the same size as a house - an old Victorian semi-detached house, three or four storeys high and with big rooms and high ceilings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.