In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I got to the semi-finals of my first tournament and knew that I wanted to play professionally.
- The league is being played in four geographical groups, with two semi-finals and a final at the end of the season.
- The Marshfield men beat favourites Morecambe in a thrilling game to reach the semi-finals.
- The semi-finals and final will be played this coming Sunday at New Earswick.
- Chinese women have made the semi-finals in hockey and the quarter-finals in volleyball.
- A number of other athletes got through to the finals and semi-finals of their events.
- The win gives Bronte a home tie in the semi-final when they will meet Grassington United.
- Stevens was gracious in defeat and he has now lost two finals in addition to three semi-finals at Sheffield.
- That may be the case but Mowbray still wants semi-finals and finals for his players.
- They only just lost in their semi-final missing out on the opportunity of an all Ilkley final.
- After so many lost finals and semi-finals and rank bad breaks, does his team still have the stomach for the fight?
- Two tables will be used in the main theatre for the quarter-finals and one for the semi-finals and final.
- He played for the Catalan club in the semi-finals of the Champions' League in 2000.
- England have only made the semi-finals twice and been knocked out in the first round four times.
- Actually it was the quarter-final, the semi-final and the final all in one night.
- England beat them in the semi-final in one of the best games of the tournament.
- The team progressed from Saturday's semi-finals to reach the final on Sunday.
- The top two teams in each division will play off in a semi-final followed by a final to decide the winners.
- The winners of the semi-finals will take part in a county final to decide the winner.
- Without question it was being knocked out of the play-off semi-final by Cardiff.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.