In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Politicsthe Senate — el senado / Senado
- Although many senators had doubts about his appointment, the senate ratified it anyway.
- People cannot go and sit in parliaments or senates to monitor their day-to-day affairs.
- The bicameral parliament is comprised of a senate and national assembly.
- The count has also supplied more than 40 French embassies; the French Prime Minister's residence; the senate and the French National Assembly.
- This is no more the rule of the senate than it was the rule of the senate before not to filibuster.
- Governors, often elected by the legislatures for one-year terms, were denied the veto, and senates (the new upper houses) were not allowed to amend money bills.
- He said results showed rejection of Democratic ‘obstructionism’ in the senate.
- We have had here more than 200 potential investors, two governors of regions, one deputy minister, four ministers, the vice premier and the president of the Italian senate and there are still a lot to come.
- The legislative branch is composed of a bicameral parliament with a senate appointed by the ruling party and an assembly chosen by popular vote.
- However, because the state senate must convene again by July 19, the prospects for Real Reform are still very much alive.
- Well, as I have mentioned before, the Australian senate is one of the most powerful upper houses in the world.
- Before becoming law, the bill must be passed by the assembly and state senate, and signed by the governor.
- Because of him, we have the largest number of women policy-makers in the national assembly and senate today.
- He was elected to the state assembly and then to the state senate, where he served 14 years.
- In a regular session, two-thirds of the senate must agree to bring a bill to the floor, meaning that even if the Republicans all voted together, they would have to pick up at least two Democrats.
- Equal representation in a powerful upper house or senate is usually part of the deal done when the constitution in written, and the small states are generally keen on making it very difficult for these powers to be taken away later.
- We also have a new parliament, a national assembly and a senate appointed by the different factions.
- And the sad thing is that not a single woman in the legislature spoke up or even mentioned a single word in national assembly or the senate about these cases.
- Candidates for the new senate must be at least 40 years old with a minimum education background of a bachelor's degree.
- I have been president of the senate for several years and the first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight.
2(of university)rectorado masculinefeminine junta de gobierno Mexico
- Muhamad said the curfew was imposed at the request of the student senate and the university's student representative council.
- Resolutions from the university senate and several protests, including a hunger strike by seventeen students, have sought to focus public attention on the disparity in benefits.
- Department reps will hold another mass protest outside the next meeting of the university senate, when the departments' future will be voted on.
- Six days after his arrest, and following consultation with members of his department and of the faculty senate, the university president acted to dismiss him.
- The faculty senate at Virginia State University was abolished in 2001.
El Senado es la cámara alta del Congreso Congress de Estados Unidos. Está formado por 100 senadores Senator, dos por cada estado y son elegidos por períodos de seis años. Toda nueva ley debe ser aprobada por el Senado y la Cámara de Representantes House of Representatives, pero el Senado tiene responsabilidad especial en asuntos relacionados con la política exterior President
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.