In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1centinela masculinearmy officers stood sentinel over the grave — oficiales del ejército montaron guardia junto a la tumba
- Flanking the elevator on both sides stood the Shadow Lord's black-garbed sentinels, his sinister Warrior disciples.
- Immediately, a sentinel standing guard near the jail confronted him.
- A lone sentinel stood in the middle of the roadway to the castle standing on the hill.
- Four silent sentinels still mounted guard at each point of the coffin but the long queues of visitors had gone.
- After walking down a short hall another door came into view; this one had only one sentinel.
- She knew not whether to fear it or love it; at this moment she only wished to find someplace where she could sit, unnoticed by the sentinel who stood near the fire at the east end of the encampment.
- The sentinels who had stood watch throughout the night before watched those roadside dwellers with weary but alert eyes, should they suddenly decided to start a riot in front of the palace.
- The sentinel still stood at attention directly under the lantern, not moving but to breathe.
- Take out the launchers as quickly as possible, then wipe out the remaining soldiers and sentinels with your mutant powers.
- So say the sentinels guarding the long coastline of the country this weekend.
- A group of sentinels stood to stop the elated pilots, but were gunned down with one well-placed salvo from the Omegas.
- By the third week the men practiced guard duty, receiving instructions on walking their posts and performing interior and exterior guard duty, and learning the general and specific orders of a sentinel posted for guard duty.
- A sentinel stood on top of the wall, an easy target.
- Men who have merited this last distinction are to be suffered to pass all guards and sentinels which officers are permitted to do.
- The sentinel stood lounging by the shaft that led down into the underground labor system.
- There has been some speculation that Charles was assassinated, but from forensic examination of his skull it is fairly certain that an enemy sentinel caught sight of his head peering over the parapet and managed a lucky hit.
- A soldier high on the roof behind his machine gun watched vigilantly over the far horizon - a silent sentinel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.