- This, in turn was surrounded by several whorls of bracts that many homologize with petals and sepals in flowering plants.
- The formation of organs in the four whorls of a typical eudicotyledonous flower, consisting of sepals, petals, stamens, and carpels, requires many genes for proper organ and tissue development.
- Roots, stems, leaves, sepals, petals, stamens, stigmas/styles, ovaries, and seeds were collected and frozen in liquid nitrogen.
- Fruits of this species are glabrous achenes, with sepals modified into plumose bristles and are frequently wind-dispersed.
- The cocoa flower has five free sepals, five free petals, five staminodes, five stamens and an ovary of five united carpels.