In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(apart)por separadoI'll send the book separately — mandaré el libro aparte / por separado
- Parents seeking to educate their boys and girls separately must go private.
- My separately wrapped bicycle, tucked in at the side of the load as an afterthought, also seems to be okay.
- Of course whatever people want to donate separately on top of that is also welcomed.
- Operated separately, the property company is a big investor in central and eastern Europe.
- This works at its best in each of the separately designed and individually named bedrooms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.