- The room, a moody cross between an opium den and a Byzantine seraglio, was upholstered at every turn in deep-red plush; there were acres of the stuff in the cushy front lounge.
- This tyranny was exemplified through the image of the seraglio, where beautiful women were kept as ‘slaves to the tyrant's lust.’
- What Natasha means, is that she has met some self confident women who don't conform to her own racist stereotypes of Muslim women, huddled away in some oriental seraglio.
- The luxurious air of the seraglio is made complete by a sensuous zither-like ‘santir’ and gentle drumming in the background.
- The walls of the Alexandria seraglio apparently carry large portraits of himself to the total of his ladies.