In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Isaiah sees the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; the hem of God's robe filling the temple, seraphs in attendance, each with six wings.
- Of course so have the archangel, the principle, the cherubim, seraphim, and many of the others.
- The theatre is a small gem, quaint and beautiful, recently refurbished in a mellow and plush aubergine, with plaster seraphim and cherubim gambolling cheerily along the fronts of the balcony and boxes.
- Never in the history of the church was there a saint, an apostle, or even the whole college of apostles, compared in such a way to the cherubim and seraphim!
- The God who gallops through divine places with the cherubim and seraphim is the same God who changed the world order by simply standing up and walking out of the tomb.
- We are presented with artistic, albeit traditional, images of heaven and hell, complete with cherubim and seraphim (in the former), and demons and gargoyles (in the latter).
- Hovering above him were mighty six-winged seraphs.
- Ceilings were painted in Michelangelo-themed angelic pictures, as well as the pictures on the walls lined with the broad spanning wings of seraphs and the pursuit of gliding in avian grace towards the luminescent clouds.
- It was a lavish manor, decorated with cherubs and seraphs.
- So with all the angels and saints, with the cherubim and seraphim, let's all bow down in worship before the Lamb of God, who has ransomed us from death and brought us into his eternal kingdom!
- A fiery glow encircled him and it was obvious to the three seraphs there why Michael was the Warrior of God; he was frightening.
- Even the Magdalene herself, eyes turned in horror from the abandoned grave to the radiant glory of the seraphim, had the faint touch of that naiveté in her eyes.
- I was the mightiest, strongest, most beautiful and most adored of the seraphim, there was no other above me in the ranks, aside from the Creator and his Son.
- From the highest to the lowest in rank, the orders are seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, and angels.
- Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar.
- From top to bottom, the celestial hierarchy includes seraphim, cherubim, thrones; dominions, virtues, powers; principalities, archangels, and angels.
- Right above the bed, in the plaster, were images of a group of seraphs and cherubs, holding harps and bows.
- Granite steps, which are guarded by two original lamp-bearing seraphim, lead to the original wide, heavy Georgian door.
- They say God could have forgiven me, let me repent and brought me back into the fold of the seraphim, yet He chose not to.
- Insulting the two highest ranking seraphim may not be the most intelligent thing to do.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.