In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The sculpture, by contrast, displays a deep sense of calm and serenity.
- I was filled with an eerie calm, the same serenity that had settled over me when Joseph died.
- Her advice was often comfort and solace in itself and her ways were the ways of goodness and serenity.
- The lighted candles and dim red light of the sanctuary give a feeling of intense serenity.
- Her works are a celebration of beauty and serenity and come without the burden of hidden messages.
- Some rooms emanate an air of serenity, while others feel lively and vivacious.
- A weekend break here, amid such beauty and serenity, will revive flagging city spirits.
- Time stops, serenity is shattered and the aftermath is a bruising period of shock and guilt.
- Help them to do this as they need serenity and peace of mind while they are recuperating.
- Leaders bear the present difficulties with calm and serenity because of their faith in the vision.
- He was a man who exuded serenity and tranquility, a man at peace with himself, with God and with the world.
- They have the same quiet serenity which I have observed time and again over the past few days.
- The penalty for her treachery was to suffer this torment every waking moment, denying her the calm serenity she craved.
- One week of peace and serenity goes a long way in making up for the other fifty-one.
- She had been ill for some time and bore her cross with dignity and serenity.
- He was an inspiration to his colleagues and radiated peace, calm and serenity.
- Mary lived a fine long life in the peace and serenity of her native village.
- The serenity is broken only by the sound of water gushing down the mountain slope.
- Where once architecture could be an emblem of serenity, it has now become an instrument of business.
- She was in great and growing pain, but the calm - the serenity - was always there.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.