In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(succession)serie femininesucesión feminineshe made a series of mistakes — cometió una serie / una sucesión de errores
- arithmetical/geometrical series — serie aritmética/geométrica
- Both teams began the game with a series of handling errors and no one was able to gain the upper hand.
- The result was a series of seven front-page articles on the subject.
- But all the 10 people arrested in a series of raids were later released.
- The book presents a series of possible solutions to this problem of affordable access.
- I could take hours describing the series of events that lead up to this.
- The leaders of various intelligence agencies worry about a series of high-profile events this summer.
- Now a new scheme is to be discussed at a series of public meetings.
- The crucial break came in the sixth game, a series of magnificent backhands from Federer engineering the opportunity.
- The frustrated escape attempt was followed by a series of violent attacks early Wednesday morning.
- Instead, the book presents a series of glimpses into the lives of the nation's first families.
- Over the Christmas period there were a series of reminders of just what that mania has meant for transport.
- The heart of the book is a series of chess problems followed by extremely detailed solutions.
- The operation was part of a series of drug raids in the Bolton area.
- The event featured a series of panel discussions related to issues of media.
- You might have planned out a whole series of attacks, but one inopportune roll and your turn is over.
- He has been conducting a series of workshops around the country on wartime journalism ethics.
- But a series of unexpected events make Rafael take a look at his situation.
- How this affects each couple is found in a series of vignettes that follow.
- The unions have launched a series of meetings with the Co-op funeral company managers.
- During this period, a series of abductions took place, suggesting that he might have been involved in these cases.
2(set, group)a TV/radio series — una serie / un serial de televisión/radio
- a series of concerts/lectures — un ciclo / un programa de conciertos/conferencias
- a series of coins/stamps — una serie de monedas/sellos
3(in baseball, cricket)serie feminine
- We've got a game tomorrow that is probably the most pivotal game of the series, and we understand that.
- It is the last game and the series and the team is battling to avoid the bottom spot.
- After three games, you get a feel for a series, but these teams seem to be really even.
- Recent history shows the visiting team in this series is more likely to win the game.
- When Fox went down with a torn tendon in his left foot in the fourth game of the Minnesota series, the team rallied.
- It was also great to see the Spurs take out the Lakers, blowing out Los Angeles in the final game of the series.
- Two days later, the teams engaged in the highest scoring game of the series.
- This isn't the first year a team has gone into a series and played low-scoring games.
- He already has added to clubhouse chemistry and was instrumental in last weekend's series against the Cubs.
- Somewhere that doesn't convince us that will help the team win a playoff series.
- They won a playoff series for the first time.
- The moment is dramatic and emotional whether the final series lasts four games or seven.
- Now it's on to Game 7 for a series that has given us everything we could have hoped for and then some.
- Each series requires the same playoff intensity, the same passion, the same work ethic.
- If the Twins split the first two games of the division series on the road, look out when they return home.
- Once a playoff series commences, each game played is subjected to even closer scrutiny.
- Such was the difference in the strength of the respective teams that the series never rose above mediocrity.
- He must be a guy who can be counted on to play well and play often when the game, the series, the season, are on the line.
- Each of those teams has a starter who is capable of winning two games in a playoff series.
- Both teams squared away the three-game test series in front of appreciative crowds.
4Electricityin series — en serie
- In a series circuit with two or more bulbs, which bulb lights first when the circuit is closed?
- A series resistor and parallel cap were not as effective as a series inductor and the cap.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.