In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(succession)serie femininesucesión feminineshe made a series of mistakes — cometió una serie / una sucesión de errores
- arithmetical/geometrical series — serie aritmética/geométrica
- Over the Christmas period there were a series of reminders of just what that mania has meant for transport.
- Now a new scheme is to be discussed at a series of public meetings.
- But all the 10 people arrested in a series of raids were later released.
- The leaders of various intelligence agencies worry about a series of high-profile events this summer.
- I could take hours describing the series of events that lead up to this.
- Instead, the book presents a series of glimpses into the lives of the nation's first families.
- The crucial break came in the sixth game, a series of magnificent backhands from Federer engineering the opportunity.
- During this period, a series of abductions took place, suggesting that he might have been involved in these cases.
- You might have planned out a whole series of attacks, but one inopportune roll and your turn is over.
- The event featured a series of panel discussions related to issues of media.
- But a series of unexpected events make Rafael take a look at his situation.
- The book presents a series of possible solutions to this problem of affordable access.
- The result was a series of seven front-page articles on the subject.
- Both teams began the game with a series of handling errors and no one was able to gain the upper hand.
- The unions have launched a series of meetings with the Co-op funeral company managers.
- He has been conducting a series of workshops around the country on wartime journalism ethics.
- The heart of the book is a series of chess problems followed by extremely detailed solutions.
- How this affects each couple is found in a series of vignettes that follow.
- The frustrated escape attempt was followed by a series of violent attacks early Wednesday morning.
- The operation was part of a series of drug raids in the Bolton area.
- It is the last game and the series and the team is battling to avoid the bottom spot.
- Two days later, the teams engaged in the highest scoring game of the series.
- He already has added to clubhouse chemistry and was instrumental in last weekend's series against the Cubs.
- Recent history shows the visiting team in this series is more likely to win the game.
- They won a playoff series for the first time.
- Each of those teams has a starter who is capable of winning two games in a playoff series.
- When Fox went down with a torn tendon in his left foot in the fourth game of the Minnesota series, the team rallied.
- We've got a game tomorrow that is probably the most pivotal game of the series, and we understand that.
- Both teams squared away the three-game test series in front of appreciative crowds.
- It was also great to see the Spurs take out the Lakers, blowing out Los Angeles in the final game of the series.
- Now it's on to Game 7 for a series that has given us everything we could have hoped for and then some.
- This isn't the first year a team has gone into a series and played low-scoring games.
- Once a playoff series commences, each game played is subjected to even closer scrutiny.
- The moment is dramatic and emotional whether the final series lasts four games or seven.
- Such was the difference in the strength of the respective teams that the series never rose above mediocrity.
- He must be a guy who can be counted on to play well and play often when the game, the series, the season, are on the line.
- If the Twins split the first two games of the division series on the road, look out when they return home.
- Each series requires the same playoff intensity, the same passion, the same work ethic.
- After three games, you get a feel for a series, but these teams seem to be really even.
- Somewhere that doesn't convince us that will help the team win a playoff series.
- A series resistor and parallel cap were not as effective as a series inductor and the cap.
- In a series circuit with two or more bulbs, which bulb lights first when the circuit is closed?
2(set, group)a TV/radio series — una serie / un serial de televisión/radio
- a series of concerts/lectures — un ciclo / un programa de conciertos/conferencias
- a series of coins/stamps — una serie de monedas/sellos
3(in baseball, cricket)serie feminine
4Electricityin series — en serie
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.