In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1blood serumPhysiologysuero (sanguíneo) masculine
- The preimmune serum was collected 1 week before the first inoculation.
- The number of sera from patients whose blood culture grew B. psuedomallei is only 12.
- Blood samples were then obtained and sera tested for HIV and hepatitis.
- No staining was detected when the preimmune serum was used as a negative control.
- Normal human sera were obtained from healthy individuals.
- Blood products, sera, sperm, oocytes and embryos are not included.
- Blood was withdrawn from the carotid artery and the sera were separated for each study.
- The sera used in this study correspond to bleeds obtained after four boosts with the same antigen.
- Pooled control sera had been collected from 321 adults positive to a few molds/microbes.
- Acute and convalescent sera were obtained 4 weeks apart.
- The sera were stored at - 20°C without any preservative.
- The percentage antibody prevalence was calculated using the ratio of positive sera to the total sera tested in each age group.
- I took those sera down to Melbourne with me and tested them to see if any of them had antibody to this newly discovered tick typhus organism.
- Furthermore, antibodies to the region II domain of the protein are commonly detected in sera from individuals in endemic populations.
- The femoral marrow cells were flushed out with fetal bovine serum and smeared on clean slides.
- Earlier studies found that pregnant pigs vaccinated against bacterial intimin developed antibodies against it in their sera and colostrum.
- The test liquid was said to approximate the surface tension of human serum.
- So far, Herman has tested his hypoallergenic soybean with human sera and in sensitive animals.
- Controls included omitting the primary antibody, using control rabbit serum as primary antibody, and omitting the secondary antibody.
- He was given a cocktail of vaccines within 10 minutes including anti-plague and anthrax serums.
- You could be making a fortune out of the drugs, serums and surgical hardware, and yet you have to stand on the sidelines and watch as US drug companies make a killing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.