In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1militar masculinesoldado masculine
- Four decades later, it is revealing to compare her grief over suddenly losing her serviceman husband with Iris suddenly losing her mother.
- I did not see any reference to the oath of allegiance which servicemen and women take.
- The contributions of African American servicemen during the Second World War have long gone unheralded by history.
- Jukebox operators reported that often such tunes got little play - even less from servicemen seeking respite from camp life.
- With the United States entering the war in 1941, American servicemen began to be posted to England.
- He also discusses his experience with the attitudes of fellow servicemen in WWII, and all his arguments taken together are convincing.
- The range of poets and of verses chosen is extremely wide and includes poetry written by servicemen, by survivors of the concentration camps, and by civilians who survived the war in London, Warsaw and Moscow.
- He is a US serviceman on leave in London.
- The Australian Government is currently constructing a war memorial in London to commemorate those Australians who fought and died alongside British servicemen in the two world wars.
- When Goody arrives, his gruff, dictatorial but tongue-in-cheek interplay with the young servicemen must be seen to be appreciated.
- In the darkest days of the siege of Malta (1941-3), to stir the hearts of the war-weary, groups of servicemen used to set up amateur radio performances of Henry V.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.