In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of badger)tejonera femininemadriguera de tejón feminine
- A Pembrokeshire county councillor faces up to six months in prison after being found guilty of deliberately destroying badger setts on land he was developing.
- Swindon is blessed with many badger setts around the town but the rapid growth taking place has seen many of our badgers put at risk.
- After a little fumbling around, Brock grinned widely and with a grunt pulled a very large, very angry badger out of his sett.
- Earlier this year, animal welfare officers in West Lothian discovered a destroyed sett and two dead badgers, one of them a cub.
- Badgers and their setts are protected under the Protection of Badgers Act 1992, which makes it illegal to kill, injure or take badgers, or interfere with a sett.
- Many hunts take steps the night before, or early on the day of the hunt, to block up the entrances to earths, badger setts and artificial places such as drains.
- However, the plans must change as the proposed route runs through a badger sett and it would be illegal to disturb them.
- Nature lovers today spoke out against plans to build a residential home for the elderly in Church Road, Hadleigh after it was revealed the move could destroy a badger sett.
- The agency's engineers are now installing a cat flap-style door at the entrance to the sett which allows the badgers out but not back in.
- His mother gave birth to him and his brother in a garage in Cumbria because all the badger setts had been flooded.
- Lothian and Borders Police said the pair had also been charged with allegedly breaching badger protection laws after badger setts were found to have been tampered with.
- We want to make sure the release sites have no slug pellets, dogs, badger sets or ponds which the hedgehogs could fall into.
- Badgers inherit setts from their parents, generation after generation, while always expanding and refining them.
- The ‘graves’ were later found to be badger setts but Mrs Bryden said she and Huntley had discussed the possibility that the girls could be dead.
- Some terriers' tails were cropped because it made it easier for them to get into badger setts, fox dens and the like.
- But the report says experts from the council's countryside section have inspected the site and found no evidence of badger setts or habitats for deer.
- The families suffered a night of unbearable suspense before the disturbed earth was revealed as nothing more than two badger setts.
- Juxtaposed with this is the idea that the blatantly violent removal of the badger from the sett and the unceremonious act of the diggers disturbs and changes nature irreparably.
- A friend of mine, who is involved in retailing, recently suffered an unfortunate incident with a badger sett while out walking.
- Scottish Natural Heritage and the Highland Council have joined forces with developers to commission a major survey of badgers and their setts.
2(paving stone)adoquín masculine
- The raised pond is also built from granite setts, linking the front to the back garden, and is filled with ‘floating’ slabs.
- The Council will soon start work to make Rawson Place traffic-free and pave it with Yorkshire flags and granite setts.
- The work that was carried out as Waterford City's Urban Renewal Project included the repaving of the entire area with granite setts and slabs to match those in John Roberts Square.
- They tend to be smaller in scale, generally 2 or 3 storeys in height with the buildings immediately fronting a shared area, frequently with granite setts.
- They also want the road to be laid in traditional setts - small blocks eight to ten inches square - which would push the total bill up to £96,400.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.