In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1séptimosee also fifth
- His aim is to discover the effect of the text's message on the earliest audience at the end of the seventh century B.C.
- It features a rare seventh century Buddha from India.
- Richard Burrows gave the visitors an early lead but Danny Walters hit his seventh goal of the season to level the scores.
- At the beginning of the seventh century St. Gobban founded a monastery at Leighlin Bridge.
- Laws made in the seventh century could finally give way to the needs of the 21st.
- Arab invaders brought Islam to Morocco during the seventh century.
- There are six sites for development in Central Place, with the area opposite the Market Theatre constituting a seventh site.
- Roslea is the site of an ancient church and convent dating back to the seventh century.
- The history of Ely Cathedral is profound - it began as a humble Benedictine abbey in the seventh century.
- True mozzarella is made from the milk of the water buffalo, imported from India to Italy in the seventh century.
- To pass 500 in your first innings but lose, and for a seventh time in eight championship games at that, is patently demoralising.
- Of the few poets whose work has survived from the sixth and seventh centuries, the most notable is Pindar.
- This was Hearts' seventh defeat in eight league and cup games.
- It is believed to have originated from India as early as the seventh century, although the exact origins of chess are unknown.
- The defeat, City's seventh in eight games, leaves the Minstermen just one point clear of Division Three bottom-club Exeter City.
- His seventh goal of the season required no such imagination.
- We begin with Caedmon, from the seventh century, but by page 6 we are already up to the sixteenth century.
- It was Gillingham's seventh league defeat in a row, but coach John Gorman would not talk of relegation.
- A Graham Delaney goal in the seventh minute set them on their way.
- Mayobridge spurned another goal chance on the seventh minute when a beautifully placed high ball from Benny Coulter fell to Ronan Sexton.
1en séptimo lugarsee also fifth
2(part)séptima parte feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.