In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Their $2000-a-night lodge apparently contained such delights as '70s-style furniture, pastel shag carpets, an indoor sauna and Jacuzzi tub.
- His only lasting one, besides the remarkable stain on the shag carpet now covered by a throw rug, was the small metal charm inserted into the keyhole.
- When Melissa opened her eyes, she was alone in the carpeting, drowning in brown shag.
- Just make sure there are no tacks in the used shag you have.
- A windowless basement with wall-to-wall white shag carpet was what Penny and Tom Friedman encountered when they moved into their townhouse near Washington, DC.
- The bed had run of the mill blankets and linens, the floor was an inexpensive shag carpet, and the ceiling had a stucco-mimic finish with some cracks running in the corners.
- I've never complained to our landlord about the lump in the hallway shag that weeps blood when you step on it.
- The shag they sold me two years ago continues to emit waves of wispy scarlet wool that spread across the floor like Poe's red death, no matter how many times I put off having the thing cleaned.
- The carpet appeared to be yellow shag, which felt cool when Iroka swung her feet off the bed and onto the floor.
- The walls are bare, hospital white and the carpet is old brown, 70's shag.
- It shattered, pieces scattering across the orange shag carpet.
- He looked only about six or seven, but was wearing shags for clothing, covered in dirt and skinnier than it was healthy to be.
- Maybe his sister had been smart when she'd chosen that white shag for her floor; wood may be masculine, but it was hard on the morning senses.
- Any special effects are kept to a bare minimum (that is, if you consider a bolt of lighting in the sky an effect), and the scenes are about as suspenseful as watching my three year old nephew get static shocks from walking across a shag carpet.
- Described by the artist as a ‘yellow brick road,’ a wide zigzagging pathway of yellow shag carpet with a red border meandered from the front door through the installation.
- The delicate serenade ‘Sparrows Over Birmingham’ and the equally touching ‘Rise’ erase the kitsch factor of the previous 40 minutes and nestle into your soul like it was shag carpet.
- The floors were white soft shag usually covered with lego and other toys.
- As I approached the flat square of grass where Judo was held, I slowed to a walk, slipping off my sandals, and plodding down into the grass, my toes squishing into it like a shag carpet.
- She latched onto lines like ‘red carpet treatment at shag carpet prices’ and a ‘whole new age of consumer power.’
- While I was allowed to ‘express myself‘by choosing bright orange shag carpet, she did draw the line in some cases.
1(tobacco)picadura femininetabaco picado masculine
- Until recently, books about book dealing and book collecting tended to the agreeably fusty, redolent of shag tobacco and carpet slippers.
- He tutted to himself, lit up a cherry shag and blew a thin tendril of smoke after them through the reassuring mesh of his cage.
- He stood up and went to the side-table and selected a pipe from his rack, and then went to the Persian slipper near the fireplace that held his shag tobacco.
- Other water birds include grey and mallard ducks, black swans, black shags.
- Throughout the isles you'll come across throngs of Arctic terns and both species of skuas, as well as black guillemots, gannets, shags, and Storm and Leach's petrels.
- Again the attraction is bird watching, especially pied shags feeding the young birds in their nests, great crested grebe and large numbers of paradise ducks.
- Cormorants and shags regurgitate pellets of fish bones and scales daily.
- Out to sea lie the treacherous Little and Halliman Skerries, and at low water groups of gregarious shags often congregate on these flat rocks drying their outstretched wings, while eider ducks can be seen dunking for the bivalve mussels.
- The only creatures on the beach were some kayakers and some shags, and around the rocks some seals.
- These steep pinnacles are now part of the RSPB bird sanctuary populated by the largest Arctic tern colony in north-west Europe, and home to numerous puffins, kittiwakes, shags and fulmars.
- Although the majority of shags, unlike many cormorants, do not normally wander far in winter from their breeding haunts, a small number make prolonged stays on the Norfolk coast.
1fildearto shag flies — fildear elevados
1recoger pelotasrecoger bolas
1(act of sexual intercourse)to have a shag — follar Spain vulgar slang
1(have sex with)tirarse a vulgar slangfollar Spain vulgar slangcoger Mexico River Plate Venezuela vulgar slangculearse a Andes vulgar slang
1tirar vulgar slangfollar Spain vulgar slangcoger Mexico River Plate Venezuela vulgar slangculear Andes vulgar slang
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.