In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sharia femininesharía feminine
- Islam is the state religion in Malaysia, and sharia is the law prescribed for the Muslim majority.
- Aceh is the only Indonesian province under sharia or strict Muslim law.
- The people who have implementation of shariah or Islamic canon law as their project know very well that power goes in such a system to the interpreters of the law.
- A third of those surveyed said they would rather live under sharia because they so disapproved of British culture.
- He wants Islamic law or shariah to be the law of the land, but does not want the Shiite clerics to be government officials.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.