In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And it's even possible to buy an island in the waters of Lake Nicaragua, famed for its freshwater sharks.
- The upper lobe of the shark's tail, however, is larger than the lower lobe.
- You can even dive with sharks at the Aquarium if you are a qualified diver.
- This shark feeds primarily on bony fishes such as parrot, trigger, squirrel, surgeon, damsel and goat fishes as well as eels.
- In the process, the shark also takes the old man's harpoon and rope.
- The breeding ground site is in the shallows, where it is difficult for male sharks to initiate mating.
- The birth surprised researchers, as the mother had not been in contact with a male shark for six years.
- The tour featured such media stunts as donning a wetsuit to swim with sharks in an aquarium tank, hugging a piglet in a shopping centre and donning hard hats on construction sites.
- We tied a rope to the tail of the shark and put it on the hook of the caterpillar machine.
- Learn what you can do to help elephants, whales, sharks, parrots and other wildlife.
- Having slender bodies and long tails, these sharks can easily glide between coral branches and hide in tight reef structures.
- How did a shark in a Detroit aquarium give birth if she hadn't been near a male for six years?
- That appetite could spell trouble for humans who enter the same coastal and freshwater areas as the sharks.
- According to aquarium staff, sharks are not the ocean's deadliest predator.
- Scuba diving and snorkelling among the exotic fish, dolphins, rays and sharks is hugely popular.
- The male sharks enter the cove with considerably more speed, driven by their single-minded drive to mate.
- The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.
- This shark has a very slender body and a characteristic long tail.
- Great white sharks can grow as long as 5 meters and weigh 2,500 kilos.
- Given this requirement, most sharks cannot enter fresh water, because their internal salt levels would become diluted.
- Some of these treasure-seekers have been conned, not paid by the city sharks for years.
- Even more interesting is the workarounds that user communities often find to do what they want to do, whether hardware makers or content sharks want them to or not.
- In water-starved Bangalore, lakes on its outskirts are not just neglected but turn prime property for land sharks.
- The forwards, ie, the sharks of the political underworld are opportunists but each with a different strength.
- A pool shark can hit a ball with a cue and predict with relative certainty where a whole bunch of balls will go on the table.
- But while property sharks may be kicking up their heels, small-time Plateau landowners and their tenants are bearing the brunt.
- And while this pool shark is one of the best, he's not what you think.
- I have seen him, at the card table, con enormous sums out of experienced game sharks.
- He has sprinter's speed, a card shark's confidence and playmaker's knack for action.
- They are the cyber-era equivalents of highwaymen, sharks, cheesy protection racketeers.
- People in York mostly think that estate agents are a rip-off, greedy, corrupt, or that they are cowboys or sharks.
- Deals of all sorts will be cut before this election ends here in the home of the sharps and sharks who have been cutting all sorts of deals for more than a century.
- However, if you take the time to get to know her, you'll quickly realize that there's much more than meets the eye beneath the surface of this pool shark.
- A few unsavory types hung at the far end of the long dark bar, and a couple of sharks were playing pool in the side room.
- A simple fraud statute seemed like a good way to swat down small-time sharks and keep the field open for themselves.
- He became a ‘fence’ for stolen goods, a pool shark, and a hustler on the midway.
- Karaoke in a place like this fits right in next to the dudes watching the game on the tube and the pool sharks getting busy upstairs.
- Their biggest fear now are the sharks of overhype.
- Preston, a pool shark, once beat singer Willie Nelson for $300,000 in dominoes.
- There are three skill levels including Novice, Intermediate and Expert, a difficulty level that is sure to challenge even the best of the pool sharks.
- His latest is an ensemble piece, set in an undeveloped beach front community in Florida, where the old ways are beginning to atrophy, as property sharks circle.
- He examines a rack of bars like a pool shark choosing a new cue.
- She is solid, dependable and middle-class - up against corrupt corporate sharks.
- I wish the money-hungry media sharks all too eager to exploit and enforce stereotypes to fill up their wallets would see that.
- Scott is the Roger Dodger of the film's title, a shark, a venomous, unpleasant, conniving, self-consciously chauvinistic pig.
- As a result of corruption, usually big sharks escape and poor retailers get punished.
- Welcome though this urban regeneration will be, now is probably your last chance to spot a kingfisher down by Bow Bridge, before the property sharks move in.
- It is a scentless, unappealing botanical fraud sold by sharks to suckers.
- But is there an alternative to calling in the sharks when people steal your stuff?
- If you can work in scoring with the pool shark's wife, you're a true master of revenge.
- At the same time I had sharks, parasites and con artists turning up, all trying to get a piece of the action.
1informal(person)explotador masculineexplotadora feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.