In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of face etc)afeitado masculinerasurado masculine Mexico(cream/foam/soap) (before noun) de afeitar(cream/foam/soap) (before noun) de rasurar Mexico
- Leave hard-to-shave spots, like knees and ankles, until the end so they soak up as much shaving cream as possible.
- Remember that the downside of shaving is stubble.
- Tonight, being Halloween, is one of those nights when you can be glad if you live in a flat and the kids can't get to your front door to spray shaving foam through your letterbox.
- The fun/horror begins when the customer who presents himself for shaving is none other than the smooth monster who tortured Ivanov.
- The great thing about this shaving solution is that you can actually see what you're doing while using it.
- I was ordered to do all my bathing and shaving and other ablutions upstairs in the most distant bathroom.
- In these circumstances, shaving has nothing to do with personal satisfaction, but everything to do with our aesthetic preferences.
- Messages of congratulation are written in shaving gel across the bathroom mirror.
- It appears Tom is on a mission to shave the world and with his determination and commitment, it looks like he's well on the way to achieving his goal of taking the pain out of shaving for all humankind!
- Attire is simple - your favorite pajamas - and there is no shaving, waxing or plucking required.
- Unfortunately, this isn't very much shaving cream.
- I don't know what other shaving bloggers think, but I've found that simply changing the blade on my razor frequently is the easiest route to getting a close shave.
- Exactly when I started shaving has slipped my mind, but it was in my early teens, so I've been doing it for close to a quarter century.
- But I looked up at him, and caught myself staring at his hands, still lathering and removing excess shaving cream, and preparing his razor to remove it.
- Then I remembered American shaving foam have a very strong mint feeling and I am not used to that.
- The saloon uses disposable equipment, sterilised grooming kits, neck capes, imported disposable shaving kits and offers shower facilities.
- Being a bloke has many perks, but shaving is not one of them.
- A whole host of details are suddenly obvious, such as the quality of shaving materials available to the cast.
- To me, it's easy to recognize one of the fundamental reasons why hair cutting and shaving was sexualized: through religion, the great subversive architect of kink.
- In my dream, I got angry: hey, shaving was a metaphor, bub.
2shavings plural(pieces)virutas femininewood/metal shavings — virutas de madera/metal
- Just before serving, whisk again and sprinkle a few Parmesan shavings on the surface.
- Crisps are crispy thin shavings of deep fried potato.
- Top this with the freshest shavings and curls of golden Parmesan and some extra herbs, and those flavours just sing out.
- Black fruits, pencil shavings, liquorice, sparky acidity and assertive tannins combine for a satisfying mouthful.
- We began with a pan-fried duck foie gras, perfumed with raspberry vinegar and thin sliced pears and Parmesan shavings.
- A thin layer of shavings goes on the mats each day to soak up excess moisture.
- There's a clock ticking somewhere, slicing tiny shavings from your day, your week, your month, your year, your life.
- The speck was sliced into the thinnest of shavings ever to be seen.
- This allows the use of a clean cut for each chamber with no metal shavings to scratch the surface.
- Beware using manure from horses bedded on wood shavings - while the shavings will rot down eventually, it can take many months.
- Aspen shavings, crushed corn-cob, hardwood chip and shredded paper bedding are used to keep the mouse homes dry and tidy.
- It also contained a large polythene bag of shavings through which were visible vast, looming rhizomes, dark brown, with filaments.
- Engraving will produce small shavings of your base material and they might scratch the surface when moving your hand back and forth.
- Even the cheapest Chardonnay, they said, needed its requisite shavings before it would sell.
- The girls used pencils, wood shavings, plaster, fabric and pencil shavings for this design.
- Pare the remaining piece of Parmesan into fine shavings.
- My head drooped toward my work table until it rested among the metal shavings and thin blades.
- Piles of coal dust or wood shavings are scattered all over the compound to collect cat litter.
- As her desire for a White Christmas grows, the shavings of snow form into larger flakes that settle on her coat, making her cold but cheerful.
- I was a real, live guinea pig, ready to be flung into my very own jungle gym of plastic tubes and shavings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.