In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)ellashe's a writer/my sister — es escritora/mi hermana
- she didn't say it, I did — no fue ella quien lo dijo, sino yo
- don't ask me, she's the expert — no me preguntes a mí, la experta es ella
- Lisa Swenson? who's she? — ¿Lisa Swenson? ¿quién es Lisa Swenson?
- could I speak to Mary, please? — this is she — ¿podría hablar con Mary, por favor? — al aparato / habla con ella
- he's as tall as she is / as tall as she — es tan alto como ella
2(ship, boat)she's a sturdy vessel — es un barco sólido
- The crew had raced out and were able to get them off the ship before she sank.
- A small ship with a big name and a big heart, she was obviously a source of immense pride for her new owner.
- From the equator she will sail past the Cape of Good Hope and then to Cape Leeuwin in Australia.
- Work is expected to begin shortly, and she may be ready to be sunk by next April.
- He also moved to dispel what he said was the myth that Queen Mary never sailed in convoy because she was too quick.
- The ship is returning to the Gulf, where she has been a regular visitor in recent years.
- This was the Danish ship Flora, and she steamed straight for the anchored Gwladmena.
- It is a fine sight in the summer wind as she sails away and becomes a dot on the horizon.
- The ship is now in the Falklands where she has taken over from HMS Dumbarton Castle.
- When the ship was lost, relatives were wrongly informed that she had hit a mine.
- The ship was sailing from New York to Liverpool when she was struck off the coast of Ireland.
1it's a she — es niña
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.