In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(para hacer sábanas) tela femininesteel sheeting — acero en planchas / chapas masculine
- plastic sheeting — plástico en planchas / chapas
- Now is the time to take out all those rubber tyres, plastic sheeting, supermarket trolleys, fertiliser bags and other general rubbish that has collected at various places along the river.
- The black plastic sheeting was coming up in places (exposing the nice, mostly weed free soil) and so we had to weight it down to stop the light getting in and the weeds growing again.
- Most of the refugees lived in stick tents covered with plastic sheeting.
- It needs sunlight and a source of water to keep the sawdust damp and is made from wood and plastic sheeting.
- On colder days, plastic sheeting, layers of straw, Styrofoam, and even soil may be used to insulate the fresh concrete.
- To cover chandeliers or other fixtures that you cannot or do not want to remove, cut plastic sheeting to the appropriate size, wrap the fixture and tape it securely.
- The silos were covered with black plastic sheeting and secured with tire sidewalls.
- As you can see the front panel has a layer of protective plastic sheeting to protect the acrylic covered front from scratches.
- The contractor should provide boards, plastic sheeting or other protective material when bricks are unloaded on ground.
- Investment in the agricultural black plastic sheeting used in exhibition rooms has soared sky high.
- We cover the ground with newspapers or plastic sheeting, and then spray-paint the paper through stencils or over found objects.
- The site comes complete with the requisite plastic sheeting, broken glass, tables made from crates, dirty mattresses and broken bicycles.
- Many squatters pulled down their own houses to save building materials like plywood and plastic sheeting, but many others stood by while their houses were destroyed by bulldozers.
- Also, these synthetic blankets, like paper and plastic sheeting, must be overlapped, taped, and weighted to stay in place under windy conditions.
- Plastic sheeting covered by newspaper saves all flooring, is nonporous, makes any cleanup easy and is inexpensive to purchase.
- The Swedish-designed defences, which consist of a barrier made of wood and reinforced plastic sheeting, were erected last year.
- The joists and subfloor are installed in the usual manner, then the subfloor is covered with a layer of plastic sheeting to keep it from absorbing moisture when the wet bedding material is installed.
- Detainees lived in huts, erected in the middle of a former sporting ground, made of corrugated iron, plastic sheeting and shade cloth on dirt floors.
- It was covered with cardboard and plastic sheeting.
- The black plastic sheeting was to cover the horse for one week before being carefully removed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.