In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Rather than temper their hunting, the kings, princes and sheikhs are seeking to produce their own supply of houbaras.
- The sheikh in that village is the leader of the local sports club.
- At Wednesday's opening of the three day General Assembly special session on children, two girls got a chance to address the presidents, sheikhs and kings from over 180 nations.
- Powerful local families or sheiks took their place, setting up their own militias and spawning inter-tribal feuds.
- Earlier this year, Sophie was the victim of a Sunday newspaper ‘sting’ when an undercover reporter, posing as a rich Arab sheik, caught her on camera being indiscreet about other members of the Royal Family.
- This report is now circulating all over the Arab world to the right people, including the Middle East Arab central bankers, the sheiks, the money manager advisors, etc.
- She lunched in the tents of both the Druze and their sworn enemies, the Beni Sakhr, and met with the sheiks of various Bedouin tribes.
- Loyalties depend on personal relationships with tribal chiefs, sheiks or warlords, rather than allegiance to the nation.
- Highest racing figures on the list are two sheikhs from the United Arab Emirates.
- The colonel conveyed the same message to tribal sheiks and the mayors of surrounding villages.
- We're back with Anthony Quinn, who has played Native Americans, mafia dons, Arab sheiks, Greek peasants, tycoons, Hawaiian chieftains.
- Years ago, a group of us were paid to coach rugby to young Arab sheikhs in Bahrain.
- My mother was a princess, my father the son of the chief of the sheiks.
- I was terrified of the operation, and went and consulted the village sheikh, who told me it wasn't necessary.
- But while sending in two reporters dressed as Arab sheikhs might seem underhand to some, the story garnered by these methods was firmly in the public interest.
- It is not caused by trade unions, Arab oil sheikhs or even the weather.
- The shaykhs and their tribes pledge their allegiance to the ruling Al Saud royal family.
- On Sunday, the preparatory board met to begin planning a national congress of 1000 notables, politicians, religious leaders and tribal sheikhs to be held in July.
- Each family group is headed by a sheik (leader).
- An intimate group of senators and sheiks dined together at Le Cirque.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.