In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is situated on the highest part of the shelf and is bounded on the east by a rubble bank, which can be traced for over 600 m. and on the west by a precipitous natural scarp.
- Beside him on the rock shelf was a small cylindrical shaped object with a whip-thin antenna telescoping from the top.
- This depth corresponds to the major change in slope between the shelf and the submarine flanks of the island.
- We thank B. Pelletier for fruitful discussions on the origin of the shallow submarine shelf, and G. Wadge and S. J. Day for their careful reviews.
- This has been known to occur on the north side of Mavericks where there is no exit from the water, only a rock shelf.
- Adjacent coastal states have sovereign rights over the seabed mineral resources of the shelf.
- Limestone deposition will then result by retrogradation from the adjoining shelf during continuous transgression.
- Sea mounts with dizzying shelves rise from the ocean floor, covered in every form of life which crawls, slides, flickers and oozes through the days and nights of marine existence.
- Heading up Leck Fell Lane, past the cascade marking the start of the Cigalere, we continued upstream until arriving at the nice flowstone shelf with loads of straws.
- Figure 6 shows outcrop Al as a representative example of the shelf to shoreface successions on the footwall of the Jalan Tutong Fault.
- Several minutes later the rock shelf above him disappeared and a steady stream of moonlight cascaded across the path.
- In the Speak-See Ball, huge shelves of land were being uprooted and tossed through the air like confetti.
- Sheltered from the southeasterly breeze, the reef drops away in a series of shelves down to a large sand gutter at 30m.
- Then the fogbank was gone and the ground suddenly appeared, jagged shelves of rock speeding up toward them.
- The rock shelf came to an end as the cliff stopped, and at the end was a thirty-foot drop into the lagoon.
- There were, broadly speaking, three tracts of relevant land: there is the rock shelf, which was tidal…
- The reef at once returned to slopes, shelves and indentations, with a host of coral species shrouded in anthias, butterflyfish, angelfish and groupers.
- They prefer the warm environment of coastal waters along continental and insular shelves.
- Exquisite rock islands cloaked in dense foliage are fringed by the shelves of coral reefs covered in crystal water leading you to precipitous drop-offs.
- The children seemed a little disappointed that a ride in the rubber boat was not included in their tour, but they found plenty to interest them in the rock pools in the cave and on the rock shelf.
- As the water went down, one of the aquarists placed some of the eggs that had fallen from the sides of the tank on a rock shelf.
- The deep-sea species inhabit the ocean shelf around 100 miles off the north-west coast of Scotland.
- Later, he tries another, trickier approach, via an overhanging shelf of rock and ice.
- To the hole's right lies a broad shelf of rock; to its left, a tower.
- It occurs in mudstones that were deposited at outer shelf or bathyal depths and in flysch facies that were deposited at bathyal depths or greater.
- I wanted to get a photo of the Gram Parsons BBQ pit from a small shelf in the rock above.
- Sitting on a natural shelf in the rock was a dingy mirror, and Prudence finger-combed her hair in it before smiling through the redness of her nose and eyes.
- In 1965, a sudden change occurred; drift ice and polar water covered the north Icelandic shelf during spring.
- I pull the rope bag out and drop it on the ledge in front of my shins, padding the rock shelf so I can lean into it.
- The Lower and Middle Allochthons comprise shelf and continental rise successions envisaged as indigenous to the Baltoscandian margin.
- Each bank has a marginal shelf, which during the summer is covered in lilies.
- From the cave I like to follow the reef up past a shelf at 12m to a window in the rocks at just less than 10m.
- A dusty pile of sheet rock tumbled from one of the high, unsteady shelves and landed beside Barbara.
- The venue has steep banks with a shelf half way down.
- Zebra sharks are primarily bottom dwellers that live in warm shallow inland waters, of continental and island shelves.
- They kept to the shadows, slinking along beneath a dusty shelf of rock.
- This problem with the sediment trap technique is probably restricted to the continental slope and shelf and will not occur over abyssal depths.
- Anemone City's sharply angled reef is broken by plateaux and shelves, where dense pinnacles and coral heads tower in a blaze of colour.
- An undamaged cluster of two foot long straws hang under a shelf of rock topped with flowstone, and is well worth a visit.
- Recruitment patterns of these species along the shelf were then used to infer water-mass distributions along the shelf.
1.1masculine estantefeminine balda Spainmasculine estantemasculine anaquelfeminine repisafeminine balda Spainfeminine parrillaa set of shelves — unos estantes
- to be left on the shelf — quedarse para vestir santos
- You'll find wood storage shelves and crates in pine, oak, redwood, and a variety of other woods, or you can have a wood shop custom make whatever you need.
- The painters, who had promised me two days notice to remove everything from walls, shelves and large pieces of furniture, instead gave me a few hours.
- Wood or plastic shelves then rest on the brackets.
- Free-standing shelves provide excellent storage and can be taken with you when you move.
- Scattered around the perimeter were canvases and dark wood frames and shelves were put seemingly randomly on the walls.
- They check that the items are continuously on the shelves and promoted prominently.
- The cost of fitted shelves and units can break the bank.
- Traditionally, a food bank's shelves are filled haphazardly with whatever goods companies overproduce.
- Many display shelves were covered by stationery materials, crepe paper, haberdashery, hair conditioner and washing detergent, boot polish and plastic toys.
- On another wall were shelves holding the trophies displayed.
- These ladies got a team together that catalogued and organised the books and journals from boxes to shelves and they continue their work today as more and more books are donated.
- I could stock the shelves with my teenage children at the local food bank.
- A walk-in pantry with shelves provides extra storage and another door leads to a roomy back hall, toilet and plumbed utility room.
- The boy grabbed a lantern off a shelf and lit it, and they continued down the dark hallway.
- At the back of the restaurant is a grand old-fashioned teak pharmaceutical counter with banks of drawers and shelves full of bottles.
- The pieces were displayed on shelves, propped against the wall, emphasizing their three-dimensionality.
- In the adjacent cabinet, glide-out shelves provide pantry storage.
- The brunette in question merely nodded at my statement and continued rifling through the shelves.
- A shelf along one wall provides extra space for smaller plants.
- Eventually, the stock grew and Bruce put shelves on the wall (behind the counter) to display the movies.
1.2off the shelf
- you can buy it off the shelf — se puede comprar hecho
2Geologybanco masculinebajo masculinearrecife masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.