In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pastel de papas masculine Southern Conepastel de carne masculine Southern Cone
- Early pies had pastry tops; but modern pies may have a topping of something else (e.g. the mashed potato topping of shepherd's pie or cottage pie) or even be topless (as in the USA).
- There are the traditional shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pie, stuffed roasted baby chicken, Cornish buttered rock lobster, leek and potato Cornish pasties, broccoli and cauliflower bake.
- The lunch specials of yore include macaroni cheese, steak pie, shepherd's pie and chips and five varieties of Crombie's sausages.
- Children enjoy dishes ranging from homemade shepherd's pie and Chinese-style chicken noodles to a couscous salad bar and fresh vegetables.
- For a Fifties child, food meant Campbell's soup, baked potatoes, shepherd's pie, stringy spinach, etiolated carrots, and toad-in-the-hole.
- It has many other culinary uses: it can be added to mince for a different-tasting shepherd's pie.
- Typical products are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.
- We asked parents and children about their preferences and they came back to us with things like shepherd's pie and lasagne, jacket potatoes with different fillings and pasta with home-made sauces.
- The band remember supporting the Rolling Stones in Germany and discovering that Keith always has a shepherd's pie with baked beans on top.
- Tonight it's shepherdess pie, which is shepherd's pie without the meat.
- My shepherd's pie with pork, soya sauce, vegetables and dill goes down well.
- For supper, I make a shepherd's pie with organic beef and potatoes from my box.
- They chose healthier options and selected favourites such as roast dinners, homemade shepherd's pie and pasta dishes.
- And my daughters prefer them to shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pudding or vegetable stew.
- The meat was melt-in-the-mouth gorgeous and the shepherd's pie had fluffy mashed potato and flavoursome meat.
- A typical evening meal for me is pasta or a shepherd's pie.
- Typical products affected by the alert are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.
- They spurn soya shepherd's pie and nut cutlets, preferring the more exotic polenta with wild mushrooms or Thai stir-fry.
- This well-packaged collection of recipes includes such familiar dishes as potato salad, shepherd's pie, stuffed mushrooms, lemon meringue pie, and even grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Add vegetables to meals - chop finely and add to pizza, casseroles, shepherd's pie and home-made burgers.
plato de carne picada cubierta con puré
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.