In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)sheriff masculine
2(in England and Wales)
- Torching Lanark and killing the English sheriff fell very squarely within Edward's definition of treason.
- ‘Somebody's gonna have to pay for it one way or another,’ said the sheriff of King William County at the time.
- They argued that the later Privy Council decision R v HM Advocate had held that it was ultra vires for the procurator fiscal to bring proceedings before a temporary sheriff.
- In a letter the procurator fiscal raised no objection to this, but in court the Crown argued, and the sheriff accepted, that the motion was incompetent.
- There was enough of a gap before seeing the county sheriff for a breathalyser test to be worthless.
representante de la corona
- To make matters more complicated, ministers want to bring Scotland's judges and sheriffs under a single management structure, with a secretariat staffed by officials from the Scottish Executive.
- Scotland's sheriffs and judges are already ranked among the most lenient in Europe.
- They numbered some of the most powerful people in Scotland - judges, sheriffs and senior lawyers used to putting their case eloquently and with force.
- Although adopted in England, the introduction of such guidelines in Scotland would provoke opposition to the Executive from the legal establishment, especially from sheriffs and High Court judges.
- Judges, sheriffs and advocates are to be asked to remove their wigs and gowns and stop using arcane language under plans to make Scottish courts less intimidating.
juez principal de un distrito
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.