In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1brillo masculineresplandor masculine
1(shine)(silk/water) brillar(lights) titilar
- Brown and beautiful, her eyes shimmered in the light of the house.
- The red shell necklace hung down between her breasts, shimmering in the sun.
- His mom turned to him with her questioning dark eyes; her brown hair shimmering in the sunlight.
- Her world shimmered in the heat and went out of focus.
- The long silver blades shot out from the openings in the forearms, the blades shimmered in the sunlight.
- There was the small outline of a vessel shimmering on the horizon.
- Each day the heat haze shimmered in the distance, distorting the path of the road.
- Dave sat regally in a large armchair, his hair shimmering in the delicate light.
- An idyllic vision of green water and blue pine trees shimmers in the distance.
- The golden sand shimmered in the heat, and the small whitewashed huts were calm and peaceful.
- Sara's heart rent as she looked into her friend's eyes, wide with fear, shimmering with tears.
- His green eyes seemed to shimmer for a moment, as he waited for my answer.
- She finally looked at me, tears shimmering in her dark orbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- A giant flame shimmered brightly in the moonlight.
- His eyes shimmered in the low light and he yawned and curled his purple striped tail around his cat body.
- The silver leaves shimmered in the moonlight that found its way through the trees.
- She reached out and grasped the silk, gasping as it unfurled into a thin cloak, shimmering softly.
- Taken at sun set, the crystal white beach shimmered in the evening sun.
- The bridge is faint, shimmering slightly, as though it were a mirage.
- Here one sees grazing camels, a skeletal countryside of abandoned walled towns, dunes, and shimmering mirages.
- The stars and moons were shimmering gold, and the background color was navy.
- The girls silver eyes shimmered brightly against the light, as if wanting to be noticed.
- In the distance shimmer classic mirages of non-existent lakes.
2(reflect from something wet)(lights in water) rielar literary
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.