In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Anatomyespinilla femininecanilla femininebefore noun shin guard/pad — espinillera
2British(of beef)jarrete masculine
1he shinned up the tree — se trepó al árbol
- she shinned down the rope — se deslizó por la cuerda
- There are pieces of armor around her wrists, elbows, knees, thighs and shins.
- She was dressed in a beautiful blossom pink skirt that fell a little below the shin.
- The knobbly bits on your upper shin, just below the knee cap, are called your tibial tuberosities, and there are muscles attached to them.
- Raise your knees toward your chest, holding your kneecaps or shins and keeping your knees as close together as you can.
- Reach forward to elongate the spine, then reach toward the front shin and rest hand here or on the floor, if possible.
- After a couple of weeks on this schedule, I feel an aching and tenderness along the inside of my shins, between my knees and ankles, both before and after my runs.
- Hold your feet perpendicular to your shins to involve the gastrocnemius muscle.
- Each competitor dons protective padding covering the knees, shins, and feet, and kicking is allowed.
- As you flex your ankles, knees and hips, the angle of your front shin with the ground should match the angle of your spine with the ground.
- Four critical regions of special concern are the ankles, shins or front part of the lower legs, hamstrings or the muscles in the back of the upper legs and lower back.
- These gentle giant pushes are usually most effective when used against any part of the ankle, knee, shin or thigh.
- Raise your arms out to the sides, hinge at your hips, place your right hand on the shin or ankle of your right leg and point your left fingertips towards the ceiling.
- Work on flexibility everyday, particularly around your hips, thighs, knees, shins and especially your feet.
- The designers have also incorporated a soft material where knees and shins usually impact with a car's front end.
- Place right hand on inner thigh, behind right knee, and left hand around shin or ankle of left leg.
- She had ropes which crossed her ankles, shins, thighs, waist, hands, collarbone and throat, each pressing tightly against her.
- In front of the ankle, a prominent tendon from the shin muscles stands out when the foot is pointed upwards.
- Children commonly fall and scrape or bruise the skin covering anterior parts of the body such as the shins, knees, hands, elbows, nose, periorbital area and forehead.
- Raise the foot attached to the pulley and bring it across your body in front of your shin, slightly above your ankle.
- Most of your weight should be evenly distributed along the shins from the knees to the feet.
- If you are using a cheaper cut of beef such as shin then it will require longer cooking.
- Beef stew uses cuts like chuck, blade and shin, which have fat that melts into the sauce, making it velvety and delicious.
- Further south, the Stufato alla romana is based on shin of beef.
- I always use shin, because it has such a good flavour and texture, but other cuts are fine.
- For example, Star Anise, that peculiar spice that looks like a fossilised flower, has really changed my stews, adding an unfamiliar glamour to shin of beef.
- For beef, good casserole cuts are shin, brisket, neck, topside, thick flank or shoulder.
- Brian sauntered past his meat cases, into a back room where an employee hacked away at shins of beef, and through the door of his meat refrigerator.
- For my main course, I had the fillet of Aberdeen beef, with braised shin and green vegetables, served on a bed of creamed celeriac and Madeira sauce.
- Place the browned bones and the fresh piece of shin in your largest stock pot and cover by at least half an inch with cold water.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.