In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Also known as the shin bone, the tibia is the more medial bone and carries most of the weight transmitted between the femur and foot.
- He also broke his shin bone and has had his ankle plated and pinned.
- One shin bone (the right one) is straight and smooth, but if you run your hand along the other you can feel a dip.
- His shin bone was all twisted out at a peculiar angle, and there was blood staining the cloth of his pants.
- I have recently in the last year to year and a half noticed I have on my right shin bone, a perfect triangular shaped scar.
- I was less easy to pick on than Lewis was, perhaps, because I might kick you hard enough to break your shin bone.
- But she has been left with no shin bone in her left leg, which was completely mangled in the accident.
- The study relied instead on smaller solid bones, including ribs and shin bones.
- Your knee joint is made up of the ends of the thigh bone and shin bone, which normally glide over each other smoothly because they are covered by smooth articular cartilage.
- She had broken her shin bone and fractured the inside of her ankle and heel.
- Shin splints describes the pain and discomfort a runner feels on either side of the shin bone, called the tibia.
- The car accident had resulted with a broken shin bone on his right leg.
- Much examining of knees last week after the claims that you can tell the age of a woman just by looking at the joint between the shin bone and the thigh bone.
- I have 80-90 steel pins all up my shin bones, my leg and my knee and God knows how many stitches.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.