In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ships)barcosembarcaciones formal(route/lane) de navegaciónattention all shipping! — ¡atención todas las embarcaciones!
- the canal is open to shipping — el canal está abierto a la navegación
- Moreover German trade, a major reason for interest in the area, provided shipping for the conquest.
- The good news is that the world's busiest shipping lanes should see to a fair number of them.
- There was something as massive and significant as the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway which re-directed much shipping away from Eastern ports.
- The French government then required Portugal to close her ports to British shipping and to declare war on Great Britain.
- In the 18th century our shipping and ports made us the greatest trading nation in the world.
- Other shipping in the area, for example, took advantage of the chaos to wash out their own fuel tanks with sea water.
- The bill establishes a maritime security framework that is vital to the security of our ports and maritime shipping.
- The warship has now returned to Portsmouth after months with one of NATO's permanent task groups, checking shipping for any signs of terrorist activities or support for terrorist groups.
- Malin Head Radio broadcast a Mayday relay to all shipping.
- It is in full view of most of the town of Dover, and has uninterrupted views of shipping in the Straits of Dover.
- The updated charts, once produced, will benefit both military and commercial shipping, enabling them to navigate safely through the shallow seaways.
- The Germans could use the base to attack British shipping in the area and disrupt the British use of the Suez.
- And he revealed the crew was already finding out what shipping was in the area in case they needed rescuing.
- The Athenian war fleet was reduced to twelve ships - barely enough to protect her shipping.
- Terrific storms, heavy seas, and frightful squalls make the waters in this area hazardous for conventional shipping.
- Only when ports cannot be cut off does attacking shipping at sea become necessary.
- Over 250 were built there and deployed to protect allied shipping in the Battle of the Atlantic.
- Shetland Coastguard and Orkney Harbours are broadcasting warnings to all shipping in the area.
- Deliberate moves should be made to upgrade the Point Lisas port, leaving a minimal about of shipping at Port of Spain.
- Besides, if Somalia was key to securing shipping through the area, why did we leave after the Black Hawk Down disaster?
- They are expected to cite the fear that shipping wine from California to a consumer's doorstep will boost underage drinking.
- Transportation and shipping have slowed to ensure no further spread of the snake.
- Still, to deter underage drinking, the states that allow direct shipping require an adult signature upon delivery.
- Direct shipping from western ports would avoid possible contamination and cut transport charges.
- The upswing in the shipping industry is encouraging more carriers to list in Hong Kong.
- Even including the cost of shipping, you can save money.
- Merchant marine Britain's dependence on merchant shipping was an economic fact which total war heavily underlined.
- After all the winery's profits are exponentially greater with direct shipping.
- High-profile brand offerings combined with quick shipping of the actual samples makes this site one to watch.
- The review's key proposal was special tax arrangements for New Zealand coastal shipping.
- Since then, the company has diversified its interests, which include shipping and property.
- Lack of security for low-flying aircraft complicates shipping and transportation too.
- Japan will also shoulder costs for any shipping in Japan, bringing the total of Japan's assistance to about 120 billion yen, the official said.
- Coastal shipping was also important for many decades after European settlement, along with river transport.
- The worst drought across the Midwest in 17 years is now threatening commercial shipping.
- Tellingly, commercial shipping appears not to receive the same degree of attention or scrutiny.
- Direct shipping could reduce costs by as much as 50%, and direct air routes by two-thirds, says Chang.
- The shipping industry in India is internationally competitive and is capable of further growth.
- In 1940, the U-boats started to take a real toll against merchant shipping.
2(transportation of freight)transporte masculineshipping by air/rail/road/sea — transporte aéreo/por ferrocarril/por carretera/marítimo
- shipping charge — gastos de envío / de expedición
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.