In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And when buses finally arrive, they are often packed so full of people that we wish our Metropasses had come equipped with a shoehorn.
- The sparkling clean room has four lockers, each with wooden coat hangers, a lower compartment for shoes, with complimentary shoehorn, and an upper compartment for personal effects.
- My laptop, my picture ID and credit cards, a shoehorn, a small flashlight, and a good book to read - are just a few other must-haves.
- We also supply intimate items - shoehorns, toothbrushes and toothpaste - and our laundry bags are linen, not plastic.
- Whoever wins is going to need a really big shoehorn.
- Kisembo is wearing green rubber boots and has brought, as a symbol of his power, a shoehorn adorned with a lion's head.
- Finding a comfortable spot for a nap in a passenger terminal is like trying to find a Bedouin shoehorn salesman.
- Use a long-handled shoehorn if you have trouble putting on shoes.
- The firm buys cow horn, which is a by-product of the meat industry, and uses it to produce items such as spoons, walking sticks and shoehorns.
- Aids include shoehorns with an extension handle, devices that help you pull up hosiery, shoes you close with Velcro rather than with shoelaces, and tools that grip buttons and zippers.
- After much struggling and battling with the shoehorn he finally got the shoes on.
- If you look at the bag with a transmitted x-ray, you can make out various things - a radio, a shoehorn, shaving cream.
- The average airline ticket in the U.S. should come with a shoehorn to help wedge you into the seat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.