- The term ‘airport novel’ is now used rather disparagingly, many claiming the genre is a front for smut, sleaze and shop-soiled erotica.
- Libraries look unkempt and the books are shop-soiled and dog-eared.
- He's a shop-soiled, aging diva, long past his sell-by date.
- He has the choice of confronting Cameron's little-known and mainly male front bench with untried young Brownites (also mainly male), or with shop-soiled ministers whose appearance on the airwaves prompts a rush for the ‘off’ switch.
- The children's grief over their dead mother and their father's attraction to a charity worker begin to dominate, which is a shame as these are the most conventional and shop-soiled aspects of the film.