In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(part of factory) taller masculine(workers) obreros masculine(workers) trabajadores masculine(as union members) bases sindicales feminineshe worked her way up from the shop floor — empezó desde abajo
- the angry mood on the shop floor — el descontento entre los trabajadores / obreros
- He appears to feel no responsibility to his shop-floor employees, most of them parents themselves.
- A spokesman for Portakabin said approximately 40 jobs would be axed from the shop floor and eight from the offices.
- I've always been the person on the shop floor - I've always been hands-on.
- If he is still working, he is likely to be walking around the shop floor, learning about the company from the bottom up, as always.
- The former warehouse operative said she was unable to work properly and was moved from the shop floor to provide oral training to new starters.
- But it's understood the firm will look to shed about 50 jobs from the shop floor with the remaining workers to go from offices.
- Most of the 500 shop floor workers are in the TGWU union, who narrowly voted for the pay offer.
- Their first week is likely to be made up of induction training in the mornings and gaining product knowledge on the shop floor in the afternoons.
- In particular, the production process on the shop floor of clothing firms is often intensive.
- They have lost patience with politicians and have simply gone ahead with their own reform plans - in the boardroom and on the shop floor.
- Some of the mostly male workers on the shop floor looked at their feet and avoided eye contact, she recalls.
- They say Leighton has a knack of gaining the respect of employees, particularly at the shop floor end of the businesses he is involved with.
- Believe it or not, this has been voted on and recommended for acceptance by the stewards' committee without ever asking the shop floor workers.
- I cannot see my staff on the shop floor because it is so busy.
- The incidence of sexual harassment is no higher in the world of finance than it is in the factory floor, the shop floor or the home.
- Miles Hilton, 53, of Huncoat, is the shop floor representative and has worked at the firm for 30 years.
- This meant there were fewer people doing more, and working longer hours, in intrinsically insecure jobs from top floor to the shop floor.
- My purpose is to examine how we might more successfully understand the shop floor politics of workers.
- Cast your eye around the office or across the shop floor.
- Is the shop floor worker to dictate to his manager what should be produced?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.