In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Spoon sliced berries and any juices over shortcake.
- I preferred berries on shortcake with a big scoop of ice cream, but I had to admit those melons were sweet.
tarta de fruta
- The boys' superb home-made vanilla ice-cream was creamy and lush, while the caramel shortcake was a cracking example.
- She baked mouth-watering cakes, mini chocolate muffins and millionaire shortcake to keep everyone happy.
- Blanched almonds, cloves, and rosewater may enhance their appearance and flavour; and their texture is like shortbread (or shortcake in N. America).
tipo de shortbread
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.