In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1taquimecanógrafo masculinetaquimecanógrafa femininetaquimeca feminine informal
- He trained as a shorthand typist before joining paper manufacturers James R Crompton and Brothers in the mid-1930s, around the time he married his wife Florence.
- He left school at 14 with no qualifications and trained as a shorthand typist, a common role for men in the early 20th century.
- For the past three years I had led a very prosaic, dull existence as a shorthand typist in a London office, and at the time of my leaving I had a fairly responsible job, being in charge of three copy typists who were junior to me.
- Carole, a former shorthand typist and clerk at Bury Brothers accountants in Accrington, was with her husband David, son Richard, 14, and his friend.
- Preston-born Mr Etherington left school at 14 and trained as a shorthand typist before becoming a lawyer's clerk.
- They wouldn't have been able to entrap their victims or dispose of their bodies without a car, a relative luxury for a stock control clerk and a shorthand typist in those days.
- After leaving school at 15 she joined Barclays in 1954 as a shorthand typist.
- Getting writer's cramp in the midst of What Maisie Knew, Henry James hired a shorthand typist and his style changed accordingly.
- In her late twenties my mother became (thanks to the Pitman School) a shorthand typist.
- Born in Leeds, Gladys spent most of her working life as a shorthand typist before finally retiring at the age of 67, having lived in various parts of the country, including Harrogate and Trowbridge.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.