In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One thug brandishing a shotgun kept watch while the other three, armed with a machete and an iron bar, rushed inside and grabbed hundreds of Rolex, Omega and Cartier watches.
- Final returns are still being evaluated, but the haul includes hand guns, rifles, shotguns, air guns and imitation firearms.
- In the first week of the amnesty, eight weapons were surrendered to Bolton police, including a rifle, a shotgun, three air rifles, two air pistols and an imitation gun.
- He was captured with an assault rifle, a shotgun, and two pistols.
- Security guards were robbed at gunpoint by raiders wielding a sawn-off shotgun and a pistol.
- Did anyone check to see if the shotgun was loaded?
- Few firearms are as visually intimidating as a double-barreled shotgun.
- If you're using a shotgun at short range you'll generally score a hit, but with a handgun at long range you end up wasting ammo more than anything else.
- He reloaded his shotgun to fire the second shot.
- The suspected burglar fled the farm but was later discovered nearby with a minor wound in his leg caused by shotgun pellets.
- With the advent of the self-contained cartridge, repeating rifles, shotguns and handguns replaced single shots.
- Two firearms, a shotgun and a rifle, were confiscated at the scene.
- Kimmitt said troops at the scene found a variety of weapons, including shotguns, handguns, rifles and machine guns.
- Spent shotgun cartridges have been recovered from the scene.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.