In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- If he committed crimes against humanity, as most believe, a show trial won't provide true justice.
- I doubt these people realize that what they're demanding in their outrage over the absence of a guilty verdict is a Stalinist show trial where the outcome is pre-determined and artificial closure is assured.
- This is the closest thing to a Soviet show trial that we are likely to see in our lifetimes.
- She was arrested and, in a show trial in 1981, sentenced to death, though this was commuted to life imprisonment.
- It has become a prosecution of one party, a show trial.
- Someone decided this was going to be a show trial and they handed out the ultimate punishment.
- The two soldiers were also victims because they were charged solely to please Korean public, like a show trial.
- Hitler was keen to avoid the public show trial of his most famous general and it seems that a ‘deal’ was done.
- All the talk that this is a show trial will stop when people see the documents for themselves.
- The proceedings starting today are nothing but a show trial designed to have the former dictator quickly sentenced to death and executed.
- The alternative is to face a military show trial with the likelihood of an even longer jail term or the death penalty.
- Supporters say they are innocent of the charges, that they are victims of a show trial and have accused senior Colombian government ministers of making prejudicial remarks about the three.
- The state reacted with a show trial, death sentences, and abrupt and immediate executions as a public deterrent.
- After the first Moscow show trial, the wave of arrests also engulfed the German émigrés who had fled from the Nazis.
- Arrested in 1477, and condemned for treason in a show trial before his peers, he was executed secretly in the Tower, by means never officially revealed.
- Now the government and the police are clearly determined to proceed with a major show trial, making it a test case for the right to free speech, as well as the rights to organize and demonstrate.
- Those arrested eventually faced what amounted to a show trial that ended on September 26.
- At the trial itself, their defense team, which was close to the Party, proved itself incapable of answering the charges politically, in what was clearly a political show trial.
- This analogy had already been pointed out by Trotsky and by Bukharin, himself one of the accused in the major show trial of 1938.
- The sole purpose of the show trial appears to have been to get a death sentence against an expendable figure.
juicio llevado a cabo como demostración de poderío
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.