In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in bathroom)ducha feminineregadera feminine Mexicohe's in the shower — se está duchando / bañando
- to take / (British) have a shower — ducharse
- before noun shower attachment — ducha de plástico que se empalma a los grifos de la bañera
- shower stall / (British) cabinet — ducha
- I welcomed the soothing feeling of the water sliding off me and just stood under the shower, soaking in the fresh scent of the soap and water.
- Volunteers are asked to provide a spare room, a warm evening meal, a shower or bath, clean clothes, and facilities to wash their clothes.
- I stood under the shower and let cool water run through my hair and down my body.
- One large bathroom, with enough room for a stand-alone bath and a shower, will offer you much more comfort than two smaller ones.
- The bathroom also has a bath and an electric shower.
- The building has a small lift and the rooms have running water, baths and hot showers and the caretaker has a television.
- Legionnaires disease is usually contracted by inhaling water mist from baths, showers and cooling towers or air conditioning systems contaminated with the bacteria.
- These thoughts passed through my mind as I stood waiting for the shower to run warm enough for a bath.
- Its white suite includes a bath with overhead electric shower and a wash hand basin with vanity unit.
- The Hilton provides immaculately clean and private showers and changing rooms, with complimentary robe, slippers and towels.
- Standing under the shower and had hoped that the water would wash away some of the pain that he was experiencing.
- As he stood in the shower with the warm water pouring over his body, he thought long and hard about everything.
- The clubhouse has a bar with a large TV screen, changing rooms with hot showers, and the stand for spectators is comfortable.
- Angel had instantly stripped her clothes and now stood under the shower letting the warm water rush over her body.
- A tall slim black headed woman stood in the shower washing herself off after her day of work.
- He stood in the shower, feeling the hot water wash down his body.
- The fully tiled en suite bathroom includes an electric shower, wash basin set in a ceramic storage unit and a toilet.
- He argued that people needed to do more with ‘greywater’ - the water from showers and washing.
- Graywater recycling funnels water from baths, showers and sinks into the garden, where action by plant roots breaks it down.
- All 108 bedrooms have a private bath and or shower and WC, television, telephone, radio and hairdryer.
2Meteorologychaparrón masculinechubasco masculinemasculine aguaceroscattered showers — chubascos aislados masculine
- it's only a shower — solo es un chaparrón
- snow/sleet showers — chubascos de nieve/aguanieve
- hail shower — granizada
- a shower of arrows/bullets/stones — una lluvia de flechas/balas/piedras
- a shower of sparks — una lluvia de chispas
- a shower of abuse — una lluvia / un aluvión de insultos
- do you think I came down in the last shower? — ¿crees que nací ayer?
- Frequently within just a few minutes, sunshine, heavy rain showers and hail storms occurred.
- There will be good sunshine tomorrow but also a few hail, sleet or snow showers.
- It was very cold with light snow showers, sleet and rain, but the pitch, despite being heavy, was in remarkably good condition.
- The weather-guessers had forecasted possible late-afternoon dust storms and light snow showers.
- Forecasters said the milder weather should be on the way for the weekend, with snow showers probably turning to sleet and sunny spells across the region by tomorrow.
- The procession reached the Jubilee Field just as a brief shower of rain fell.
- Tomorrow's forecast is for a cold, windy day with some risk of sleet and hail showers, although the worst effects of the storm will have passed by 6am.
- This week's cloudier skies can be the start of a brief spell of light showers associated with the front approaching the Cape.
- Weather conditions could hardly have been worse for the event with a strong biting wind and frequent wintry showers of rain and hail putting a damper on proceedings.
- Biting winds, heavy rain, sleet showers and muddy underfoot conditions conspired to make life extremely difficult for the players.
- Thursday the weather was lousy with snow and sleet showers being forecast and some heavy falls of snow likely.
- Paktia in eastern Afghanistan and Bamiyan in northern Afghanistan also received heavy showers of rain and snowfall after a long spell of drought and dry weather.
- Any wintry showers - hail, sleet and snow - will be restricted to the north west of the country, we might get them in northwest England and Wales.
- This would often bring showers of snow or rain, and sometime hail.
- During the climb weather conditions deteriorated to such an extent that the group and their guides faced snow, sleet and rain showers during the ascent.
- Such is the month of April, but be sure not to miss out between those squally showers of rain and sleet if a warmer spell arrives, no matter how brief.
- The conditions had a major influence on this game with a strong, gusting wind blowing up the field, bringing with it freezing showers of rain and hail.
- The lower-lying southern part of the country was also expected to be affected by sleet and snow showers.
- The subtropical climate brings lots of sunshine and brief, intense rain showers.
- The capital is again bearing the brunt of the bitter weather with freezing winds, rain and hail showers.
3British informal(people)panda de inútiles feminine informalmanga de inútiles feminine Southern Cone informal
- I have finished knitting the little matinee jacket and matching cap for the Wednesday baby shower.
- I guess in a way the get together was a kind of late baby shower.
- It occurred right after Stacy's surprise baby shower at my house.
- Going to my sister-in-law's baby shower wasn't exactly my idea of a well-spent afternoon.
- You could even write part of your baby poems in backward for a Winnie the pooh baby shower.
- Will the mother-to-be know of the party, or will you be having a surprise baby shower?
- Decorations for Noah's ark themed baby showers are in abundance.
- But soon after Jay was shot, she put her dream baby shower on hold.
- There are so many great ideas for making your gifts for baby showers.
- Audrey always seem to be going to teas, hunting parties, picnics and baby showers.
- Then we had to go and pick out presents for a baby shower and we decided that we would split the cost of the gifts.
- Yesterday I left work to go to a going away party for a friend of mine but in fact, it was a surprise baby shower!
- She is the author of many well written and informative articles about baby showers.
- To make the party more momentous, you can make a surprise baby shower for the guest of honor.
- Pam's baby shower was the week after next.
- One of the biggest challenges for planning a baby shower or any other party is picking the right food.
- They were planning a surprise baby shower for later that night.
- She had to smile to herself when she remembered the kitchen at the Morton's and the strawberries at her mother's baby shower.
- I was leaving my aunt's baby shower and my mom asked me to go back in for her coat.
- This is the book that belongs at baby showers everywhere and beyond that in the hands of any man or woman who has an interest in what makes a healthy happy family.
fiesta en la que los invitados obsequian a la homenajeada con motivo de su próxima boda, el nacimiento de su niño etc
1(spray)regarthe volcano showered ash on the town — el volcán arrojó cenizas sobre la ciudad
- to shower sb with sth — tirarle algo a algn
- the bride and groom were showered with rice — les tiraron arroz a los novios
- Over the next few nights, when you're watching the fireworks shower sparks across the sky, spare a moment to remember, remember the fifth of November.
- The heavy rain which had showered the course for 36 hours finally relented for the third round and left the fearsome Bethpage Black course more receptive to below-par scoring.
- Then it urinated, showering the other animals in the cage.
- Huge flares shot out across the water, showering the surface in a fountain of white-hot sparks, and quite wisely the ducks were off again.
- We have reports today of Iraqi citizens dancing in the streets, showering our service men and women with flowers, kisses and expressions of gratitude.
- Some tracks shower the circle with confetti when the driver gets out of his car.
- Onlookers who had gathered hoping to see the future of postal deliveries were showered with singed letters falling from the sky.
- If you could get a kite's eye view of this place, dotting the scene would be these intense spots of orange or blue flame, showering sparks about.
- David pushed himself up on his left forearm, showering tinkling ice cubes around him as the towel fell off his face.
- Lights flickered, showering the ground with sparks.
- Little Kara McLaughlin suffered severe burns to her face and left hand when a firework in her garden exploded, showering her in hot sparks.
- The line reflexively crouched in anticipation of the shower of shrapnel.
- The light fixtures in the hallway blew out in brilliant flashes of red and yellow, showering the hallway with sparks, and cracks appeared in the walls on either side of the dying Guard.
- In the afternoon the young Maharajah rode on his elephant, showering gold and silver coins on jubilant crowds of his subjects.
- During the tung blossom season, when the wind blows, onlookers are often showered with tung blossoms falling from the trees.
- Instead, the attack crashed into the ground scorching it and sending an explosive shower of dust up into the air.
- Sparks flew out from underneath, showering the road with red-hot metallic pieces.
- On days like this I dream of wrenching the machine from the sockets and hauling it off my desk, showering useless pieces of paper and coffee cups and disks all over the cheap government carpet.
- Plasma charges struck the table, showering the two women in sparks, sending them to the floor.
- With a blood curdling scream the creatures dove from the dawning sky, their deadly talons showering sparks as they raked along the steel shields.
2(bestow lavishly)to shower sth on sb
- congratulations were showered (up)on the winner — le llovieron felicitaciones al ganador
- to shower sb with sth — tirarle algo a algn
- the country showered him with honors — el país lo colmó de honores
- Last night at the show in Goettingen, we showered Zann with paper-shredder confetti.
- Some might argue that showering Afghanistan with food rather than bombs would create an incentive for further acts of terror.
- The soft moonlight highlighted the shadows of his handsome face, revealing the loving gaze that he was showering her with.
- While showering Taylor with jewels worth a king's ransom, he also gave generously to friends such as Smith.
- Alex's mother and father showered him with more love after his friend's death and began to realize that being himself was enough.
- He has claimed each of us as his own and wants to shower us with all the abundant riches he has to offer.
- Russo, who played treacherous Carlo in ‘The Godfather,’ will be seen in ‘Growing Up Gotti’ tonight, showering Victoria with roses, chocolates and even an impromptu love song in a crowded restaurant.
- The couple then moved to the romantic setting of the Commons terrace, before George showered Caroline with gifts: a box of parliamentary mints, a House of Commons teddy bear and a copy of his book.
- The merchant and his wife showered Irina with gifts, but she was always sad.
- Sally exclaimed and started showering Hollet with kisses before he carried her back into their bedroom.
- In other words, if you got money, just sit still and you will be showered with more.
- Female admirers showered Joe with a variety of panties, thongs and even a pair of bloomers and a bra as he belted out a succession of instantly recognisable Dolan chart-toppers spanning - would you believe - four decades.
- I remember it, the overwhelming wonderfully pure love that she showered me with.
- The couple dined in a £1,000-a-night suite at the Malmaison Hotel in Manchester, were waited on by a personal butler and Gascoigne showered Sheryl with gifts.
- Liza showered Sadie with gifts to alleviate her feelings of long-standing guilt that she had become a star and Sadie hadn't.
- Akra Jr frequently showers Li'l Bhaji with hugs and kisses, delights in getting his little brother to giggle at him.
- The court heard how Scott showered Mrs O'Brien with flowers and persuaded her to let him live with her.
- Is it any wonder they showered him with $188 million?
- Like every father who can't stand to be around his son, He showered John with gifts like surround-sound speakers and a Jaguar car.
- Stop measuring your value as a friend in terms of the services you provide and the things you can give her, and stop showering her with - well, everything.
1(wash)ducharsedarse una duchabañarse
- The girl must be awake, and she must have been showering and washing her blood-speckled jeans.
- She showered quickly and then dressed into the same clothes once again, since they hadn't been dirtied since she put them on.
- I cleaned and scrubbed, washed and purified, showered and bathed and sponged and splashed.
- General water usage, like showering daily or washing up after each meal, could become rare luxuries, let alone watering the garden or washing the car.
- We use about 2 gallons each for showering, and we wash dishes twice a day, which usually takes about 5 gallons.
- There is water downstairs but none upstairs in the house so they can't shower or use the toilet.
- Irritants can get trapped beneath rings, which should be taken off when showering, washing hands or doing chores.
- The nurse tells the patient that the wound dressing can be removed for showering and that the patient can get the sutures wet while showering or washing his or her hair.
- Apply an emollient cream or ointment after washing, bathing or showering and between baths or showers, as often as necessary.
- Rising from the bed he quickly showered, washing thoughts of last night down the drain along with sweat, grime and shampoo.
- Water for basic household tasks like washing, showering and toilet facilities proved impossible when the taps in more than 200 households suddenly went dry.
- Keep affected skin clean and dry, taking extra care when drying yourself after bathing or showering.
- My mom had made us taco salad, which we washed down with Northwest beers, and showered & hit the hay for a scant five hours of sleep.
- Returning to her master's cabin, Tanj showered, and washed her hair.
- I went and showered, did my makeup and my hair then got dressed.
- He showered and washed his face with his rag.
- She washed her hair with Pert Plus and quickly finished showering.
- Use after hand washing or bathing / showering and between baths or showers as often as necessary.
- The device is worn continuously 24 hours a day, except when the wearer is bathing or showering.
- Skin brushing could be done just before bathing or showering to stimulate the lymphatic system.
2(be sprayed)(water/stones/leaves) caer(protests/congratulations/letters) llover
- People were thrown onto the coach ceiling and the shattering windows showered them with broken glass.
- Subsequently, the witnesses said, Rhodes allegedly showered her with pepper spray, threw her against the wall, kneed her in the head as she knelt on the ground and struck her head on the ground while holding her hair.
1llovercaer un chaparrón
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.