In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1martes de Carnaval masculine
- The Mayo General Hospital Shrove Tuesday table quiz took place in the Traveller's Friend Hotel.
- It will be remembered that, instead of the Shrove Tuesday lunch this year, the social committee held a pancake evening which had to take place in church.
- The proceeds for the Shrove Tuesday event at the store, in Turner Rise, Colchester, will go to helping people with cerebral palsy.
- Some older men also had a custom of not getting there hair cut between Shrove Tuesday to Easter Monday as their own deed for Lent.
- Today, Tuesday, February 8th is Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day as it is often referred to.
- The Rotary Club of Waterford will host a Pancake Day Afternoon tea for Senior Citizens on Shrove Tuesday, February 8.
- With Shrove Tuesday being today, this week we are giving you two recipes for pancakes.
- So, as today is Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, I shall try to assist you in not making lumpy batter or burning down your kitchens.
- In Elizabethan times the first of the dates associated with Easter, Shrove Tuesday, could fall as early as 3 February or as late as 9 March.
- The celebration begins on January 6 and culminates on Mardi Gras day, Shrove Tuesday.
- This Nettle kail was in some regions a traditional dish for Shrove Tuesday, or to celebrate the arrival of spring.
- The traditional, meatless Shrove Tuesday meal (the day before Lent) centers on pea soup and rye bread or pancakes.
- It was Shrove Tuesday yesterday, a day to eat pancakes, so they say.
- It was all part of Pancake Day, a national community event run by the Uniting Church of South Australia to celebrate Shrove Tuesday on February 24.
- Tower Hamlets, in East London, acted after objections to pancakes being served on Shrove Tuesday.
- Pupils at Sutton Veny Primary School celebrated Shrove Tuesday with a Portuguese carnival day on Tuesday.
- The event is being organised by the town council and the town centre management partnership to celebrate Shrove Tuesday.
- On Shrove Tuesday, Julie sent her off to school with a traditional Mardi Gras king cake.
- So, enjoy Shrove Tuesday because tomorrow it will be time to enter the desert and come near to God.
- On Shrove Tuesday, people still go sledding to make flax plants grow taller.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.