In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1arbusto masculinemata feminine
- Decorative railings and improved lighting have been installed and shrubs and trees planted.
- Unusual and rare plants, trees and shrubs will be on display with advice from experts on cultivation.
- Prevent long grass from establishing itself at the necks of trees and shrubs planted in the lawn.
- One hundred and fifty native trees and shrubs were planted on Lackham Estate in Ashlea field.
- The islands are very rich floristically, with a high proportion of shrubs and other woody forms.
- For a short while, as the leaves turn on deciduous trees and shrubs, autumn colours command the stage.
- Most of these species are herbaceous, although some representatives are shrubs or trees.
- Grassland shifts to larger plants like shrubs and if rainfall is high enough, trees.
- Hundreds of trees and shrubs will be planted at Croome Park during December.
- We passed the grove of young trees and clumps of shrubs, and came to the place where the ground began to fall away.
- The new graveyard garden will have extra shrubs planted with existing trees left undisturbed.
- Plants, trees and shrubs have been planted and the area has been fenced off to help secure the area.
- As the leaves open on most trees and shrubs, a haze of light green surrounds the plants and herbs of the garden.
- Thorny shrubs planted outside ground floor windows can also be a good deterrent.
- Individual trees and shrubs were selected at random from each sub-plot of each forest stand.
- It stands in wooded ground which contains a variety of shrubs, plants and bulbs.
- A few white fairy lights can add a sprinkle of magic among the winter foliage of evergreen trees and shrubs.
- It is a good time to plant bare rooted shrubs and trees while the weather stays mild and the ground is still workable.
- Now the slope is softened and the garden planted with fine ornamental trees and shrubs.
- This is a tranquil space which is sheltered by trees and has a vast array of shrubs and plants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.