In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(mass of shrubs)arbustos masculinematas feminine
2British(part of garden)macizo de arbustos masculine
- The garden is split level with a paved area, a well manicured lawn and a shrubbery with water feature.
- The shrubbery replaced a hard area and was designed to prevent accidents at a blind corner where the city wall meets South Esplanade.
- On the side away from the water, parklike characteristics continue, interspersed by well planted shrubberies, a small pond with stepping stones, and a leafy stream flowing out into the lake.
- To the front and rear of the house are lawns and shrubberies, but the grounds also contain two acres of young trees, a wildlife pond, mature woodland and banks of rhododendrons.
- The 97-foot rear garden is in lawn, with flowering plants and shrubbery.
- I caught sight of the familiar shrubbery and gardens, and even the shape of a monumental manor.
- With a little shrubbery or plants, such fences can provide very attractive barriers along property lines.
- It was a very very large garden, with seats, and water features and shrubberies littered around it.
- The trim roadside lawns with shrubberies and annuals both here and on the approach to Cork give a most optimistic expectation of what the town has to offer.
- Specimens grown as trees in a shrubbery or semi-wild garden can be left to grow as they want, with branches removed only when access is required or they are dead or diseased.
- Low shrubbery, especially berry bushes that also provide a food source, makes an effective shelter.
- Cleanliness and trash pickup are ongoing maintenance jobs, as is the upkeep of public gardens, shrubbery and flowers.
- Eighteen private gardens at Wilmslow are being thrown open to the public tomorrow, offering a rare glimpse of beautiful herbaceous borders, shrubberies, water features, - and even a working steam railway!
- The garden and the small shrubberies to the front are attractive.
- Grottos and ruins gave gardens a visual impact while ornamental shrubberies appealed to the emerging middle class.
- Mother was a very keen gardener and under her supervision we grew all our own vegetables and looked after the flower garden and shrubbery.
- The developers have included water features, seating area and shrubberies in the landscaped gardens which surround the scheme.
- He started walking toward the light shrubbery surrounding the area.
- Mature lawns surround Lakefield House while the manageable garden also features a shrubbery and rockeries as well as the two patio areas.
- There is side access to the rear garden, which includes a decked patio area, border shrubbery and a lawn as well as a small shed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.