In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(on window)masculine postigofeminine contraventanamasculine postigofeminine persiana
- The house has 220 square metres of space and includes a number of period features such as fireplaces, window shutters and wooden floors.
- There are charmingly rickety old-style shutters on both the inside and outside of the long tall windows and large mirrored floor-to-ceiling wardrobes add to the sense of space.
- He threw open the shutters of two windows to reveal a simple and slightly dilapidated room with a stone fireplace built out from one wall, and furnished only with two wooden cots and a bench.
- The room is done up in the old colonial style, complete with red stained wooden floors, four poster bed, wooden shutters for windows and so on.
- The master bedroom has an attractive bay window facing out on the street, with original wooden shutters for privacy.
- I ran to the wooden shutters covering the windows by the door.
- Decorated in pastel colours, the bedrooms retain many period features including wooden ceilings, window shutters and original doors with metal latches.
- It appears that a thief, described as a drunk male wearing a combat jacket, used a crowbar to prise open the security shutter before smashing the window.
- The other two bedrooms are at the front of the house and have the original window shutters for added privacy.
- I almost fell out of the window when one of the shutters came off its hinges.
- Outside, rain pattered against the sides of the wooden house and shutters to the windows, and Lon loathed joining the horrid weather, but had no other choice.
- As he already had an alarm system, window and door shutters plus several heavy security doors, I would have thought he had provided adequate security arrangements already.
- Despite having an alarm system, window and door shutters, plus several heavy security doors, thieves still managed to break into his shop on Saturday.
- The old wooden window shutters in this area have been retained and are in good condition.
- There were two doors, both seemingly exiting to the outside, and two windows that were covered on the inside by primitive wooden shutters.
- Both rooms have pale yellow walls and white ceilings and each has an original window with wooden shutters, overlooking the gardens.
- The timber casement windows are new, but much of the interior wood is original including the window shutters and some panelled doors.
- Stylish wood window shutter panels with operable louvers offer privacy as well as control over the amount of light that enters a room.
- A pair of windows with wooden shutters allows for a good deal of incoming light.
- It was a room of narrow but long shape, with two glassless windows with wooden shutters.
- Even with your camera on top of a tripod, if you only use your finger to keep the shutter open, you run the risk of camera movement.
- The camera shutter was open for 8 m sec per frame to avoid motion blur of the particles.
- Arbus focused her camera and triggered the shutter.
- In order to prevent the image from being blurry, Cassini actually had to rotate while the camera shutter was open in order to maintain her pointing at Phoebe.
- When the shutter of your camera opens for that fraction of a second, photons of light stream in and strike the silver halide grains suspended in the gelatin emulsion.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.