In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1brote lateral masculine
- The largest side shoots can be 18 inches long, and the thinnest about six inches long.
- Cucumbers grow vertically as a single stem until they reach the support cable, then the top is cut off and two side shoots are allowed to grow over the cable and hang down.
- After they have produced fruit, cut them back to the second side shoot near the overhead support, and these will start growing again.
- The shoots are then harvested as they become ready - nipping off the shoots encourages the plant to form more side shoots.
- The sweet peas were pinched out last week so they will soon be sending out side shoots and tendrils that will need a support to cling on to.
- If the shrub is still too tall, cut back the stems to just above a strong side shoot.
- After blooms fade in spring, shorten main canes and side shoots.
- Remove shoots that grow from the roots or the vine, but not side shoots that arise from your selected strong shoot.
- If the plant has not been pruned for a couple of years and still looks too big after this, the flowering stems can be trimmed back to just above a side shoot.
- Using a sharp, clean knife or clippers, cut the tip of a side shoot that has at least three leaf joints.
- Pinch side shoots of flowering stems to get the biggest flowers.
- The opposite corner is marked by a bright spray of canary yellow broccoli flowers, from a few side shoots we left in place when we harvested the crop.
- Prune indoor and outdoor grapevines, cutting back each side shoot to within one or two buds of the main stem.
- Prune the flowering side shoots to two to three buds above the structural canes during the dormant season.
- Plants in open pots were grown from rooted side shoots.
- The plant responds with side shoots, giving you more blooms.
- The main stalk and side shoots are ready for harvest once the flower buds start to form.
- Feed tomatoes regularly, pinching out any side shoots that form and tying the main stems to canes for support.
- As the vines grow, they're tied to the poles, and side shoots are pinched off to preserve a single main stem.
- Unlike the brassicas, which can only be grown from seed, Chinese spinach can be propagated from cuttings of side shoots which have not yet flowered.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.