In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1there have been numerous sightings of UFOs — se han visto OVNIs en numerosas ocasiones
- Rare sightings of him suggest a depressed individual, bloated and forlorn.
- Keighley is now recognised as a UFO hot spot, with dozens of sightings being reported over the years.
- The spokesman said few sightings of dead fish between Haxby and York had been reported.
- The incident room was swamped with thousands of sightings of suspicious green cars across the UK.
- There have been reported sightings of a ghostly figure wandering through the pub in Shirley.
- The warnings come after pest control officers reported a surge in calls reporting sightings of rats and mice.
- In the past year there have been several reported sightings of the so-called beast.
- Dolphins are in the area most of the year, with some sightings of whales reported.
- There have been reported sightings of Big Cats like pumas and panthers in West Wales and the rest of Britain for years.
- The UFO Society had been inundated with phone calls about the unusual sightings.
- Even a trip to the beach at La Rochelle yielded sightings of sea holly and sea lavender in nearby sand-dunes.
- They blame the city's burgeoning night-time economy for increased sightings of rats.
- Several cougar sightings have been reported in the Lynn Valley area in the past two weeks.
- The hot summer of 2003 has led to more northern sightings of Britain's smallest rodent.
- The Gazette has reported sightings of black big cats as far apart as Calne, Great Bedwyn and Malmesbury.
- Rithe points out that tigers have become nocturnal and sightings are very rare.
- Last year the Gazette reported sightings of the creature at the back of Helm Hill and at Natland.
- Ghostly sightings at the castle have included a monk on the ancient motte staircase and an apparition of a medieval lady.
- There have been sightings, which are so far unconfirmed, of otters at Shipley and Keighley.
- This week online clairvoyant Graham Dare provides answers to two spooky spirit sightings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.