In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agradable a la vista
- Old railway sleepers have been laid along substantial stretches of the path to Coire Ardair: perhaps not the most sightly solution to the problem, but it has been successful in allowing vegetation on either side to regenerate.
- Veneers might offer a quick-fix Hollywood grin, but braces are making a comeback as technological advances make them more sightly - and more effective.
- An unlikely mix of Italian Taleggio, pesto, and pine nuts was more sightly and tasted surprisingly smooth.
- The renovation now makes it a sightly scene and one of great respect.
- A lighted Christmas crib, the hand-craft of John Earley, was donated to the town and positioned in Main Street opposite Mooney's Lounge, and it creates a sightly scene.
- Even as an open space it would be more sightly than the old glasshouse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.