In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sintonía femininecortina musical feminine Southern Cone
- Radio 3 just played the Dolly Suite which, as all you people of a certain age will know, was the signature tune for Listen With Mother.
- For the past 40 years, the man behind the instantly-recognisable opening bars of the soap opera's signature tune has modestly kept quiet about his claim to fame.
- The more skillful the ad, the more memorable its signature tune, the deeper the impression it creates.
- The announcer would say a quick ‘good afternoon to you ‘and the final verse of the station signature tune would be heard with clock mixing to company symbol over the final fanfare.’
- For an encore he sang Ghost Riders in the Sky; it became his signature tune.
- To count the birds, scientists have to record the signature tune of each male in a pair, to tell them apart.
- Whitfield had to again step aside for the next year-and-a-half as Smokey Robinson cranked out hit after hit for the group including their signature tune, ‘My Girl.’
- A standard part of Wagner's style was the leitmotif, which is, at a very basic level, a signature tune that comes from the orchestra, denoting the psychological situation on stage.
- In the 1920s and 30s, when broadcasting, dance bands and light orchestras commonly used a signature tune, frequently played at the end of a programme and sometimes at the beginning.
- Tully adopted the Harry Belafonte calypso hit of the late 1950s Yellow Bird as his signature tune - it is a song that will always be associated with Tully Curry by those who knew him.
- ‘Her signature tune was ‘Softly Wakes My Heart’, from Samson et Dalila,’ he says.
- Now, Glenn Miller as every jazz enthusiast will know, is the legendary U.S. trombonist and bandleader whose signature tune was Moonlight Serenade.
- The waltz is certainly the signature tune of Vienna.
- Strong chorus-singing steals the show on John Collier, while the signature tune is toe-tapping stuff - bluesy, ballsy and a frenzy of feathers and glitz.
- The music chosen as the station signature tune and used for the first twelve years of daily start-up routines was almost jolly, but retained a strong regional flavour.
- One of these people turns out to be the official Artist In Residence for the band Alabama Three, who are best known for doing the signature tune for The Sopranos.
- Here her signature tune is a heartbreaking lament of missed opportunities, but it is just one of 26 songs on this lavish double album - among them the definitive renditions of That's Entertainment!
- The world-class clarinetist claims the unique achievement of having the first ever simultaneous number one in Britain and the USA with his unforgettable signature tune, Stranger on the Shore.
- The Sleeping Beauty has long been considered the signature tune of Britain's Royal Ballet.
- Lotis auditioned with Get Happy, a song which remains his signature tune to this day and was booked for the show within an hour.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.