In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The task of representation and signification (the task of culture) is to draw the group together, no matter how widespread or dispersed, to make it coherent and identifiably different from other groups.
- We can recognize a logic of the unconscious only through its representation in the symbolic order, through the effect of signification.
- Derrida suggests that representation or signification is based on both a distance from a signified and a difference among terms.
- Most of these anthropologists have tried, like those who have investigated Abelam culture, to present structural or systemic analyses of the nature of the meaning or signification of particular cultural forms.
- There's a complex structure of meaning and signification in her work, as clearly comes across in reading through several transcripts of her pieces.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.