- By sharing two oxygen atoms, silicates can form either cyclic or chain structures.
- The most significant user is the glass industry, which uses sodium carbonate to decompose silicates for glass making.
- Silicon is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, since most common rocks have crystalline frameworks made from silicon and oxygen: they are silicates.
- The weathering of calcium silicate rocks over millions of years converted the insoluble calcium silicate into soluble calcium salts, which were carried to the oceans.
- Certain salts, such as the dichromates, borates, and silicates, act as inhibitors to the aqueous corrosion of zinc.