In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Computingsilicio masculinede siliciosilíceo
- The most common technology for harvesting energy from sunlight is the photovoltaic cell based on silicon.
- Silicosis is caused when silicon, fine particles of rock, enters the lungs and cuts lung tissue.
- Diamond behaves like silicon when you place it at very high temperatures and pressures.
- As silicon doesn't conduct electricity, impurities are added so it becomes a conductor.
- Normally silicon does not emit light as it has an indirect energy band gap.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.