In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2.1(household items)platería feminineplata feminineto clean the silver — limpiar la platería / la plata
- Elsewhere in the gallery a high security case contains the town council's silver, with extra silverware from St Andrew's parish church.
- It's not like I'm taking food out of the kiddies' mouths or swapping the family silver for an 1873 Colt.
- Yet a small group of CEOs and financiers managed to save the family silver before the house burned to the ground.
- We have been pawning the family silver to pleasure ourselves.
- During the reign of James, sales of Crown land provided the family silver of the period.
- If you're lucky to reach this hallowed ground, you'll be flattered and coddled until you've given up the family silver.
- The moonlight grew brighter, like silver when it is polished.
- Just days ago the Elliott family silver and a collection of prized John Gould bird prints went under the hammer at a Melbourne auction.
- These pieces of land are like the family silver and shouldn't be lost to communities.
- Glass bottles are highly collectable, and some folk proudly display their bottles in much the same way as other people display the family silver or fine bone china.
- I could have just driven away with the family silver for all she knew.
- Sales of silver and glass have been sluggish, with the exception of cutlery, Irish provincial silver, Irish and art deco glass.
- But further back there was an earl, and the family had a heraldic crest and some silver, bits of which Orwell pawned to raise money to fight in Spain.
- It is like giving somebody you meet in the street your house key, not changing the locks and then being surprised when the family silver goes missing.
- Part of a hoard of family silver which vanished for more than 100 years was yesterday sold at auction for nearly £8,000.
- I just wouldn't let them anywhere near the family silver.
- Phelps found that his gold watch, the family silver and his loose cash were in plain sight, but had been left alone.
- Thousands of pounds worth of jewellery and silver has been stolen as well as computer hardware.
- The collection consists of more than fifty pieces of family silver and thirty-nine paintings.
- It was not the Greeks' practice to place the family silver in graves, nor was it subjected to deep polishing.
- I tend to pick out the one pound coins and the silver to buy my lunch the next day so generally it's just the coppers that are left.
- Its platform called for the free coinage of silver and plenty of paper money.
- I remember looking into one and seeing a little dining table laid out with tiny silver cutlery.
- British imports of tea were steadily increasing during the early nineteenth century, and the Chinese would accept only specie, usually silver, in payment.
- The manager of the shop arrived to find the lock smashed, and the money, all silver and coppers, all gone.
de plata, aluminio etc
2.3(medal)medalla de plata feminine
- He has won three golds, two silvers and three bronzes at world championships in the past five years, along with an Olympic silver and Commonwealth gold.
- She was just one of many fine performers for the York club, who picked up 17 golds, 11 silvers and eight bronze medals.
- Sailing has become a hot bed of medal action for Great Britain at recent Olympiads with five golds, three silvers and two bronze medals snared on the water in 2004 and 2000.
- This is the eighth time they have made the Olympic semi-finals and they have a respectable haul of three silvers and three bronzes.
- Taiwan grabbed two gold medals, two silvers and one bronze at the Athens Olympics.
- Pool playing reached a frenzy after the 1998 Asian games, when the Chinese Taipei team won three gold medals, two silvers and a bronze.
- Australia have made the finals three times in the past but have yet to win a gold medal to add to their haul of three silvers and three bronzes.
- The five gold medals, five silvers and 15 bronzes were the highest number garnered by local innovators at the China International Exhibition of Inventions, held in Shanghai.
- The senior and junior Welsh teams exceeded all expectations by collecting eight gold medals, 15 silvers and seven bronzes at the Culinary World Cup.
- Todate he has participated in six international events and has won himself a gold medal and three silvers.
- Four years after that, Bode Miller's two silvers, in giant slalom and combined, were the only U.S. medals.
- Halfway through the tenth day of the Olympics, China topped the medals table with 23 golds, 15 silvers and 11 bronzes - one gold ahead of the Americans.
- Between them they won 7 gold medals, 3 silvers and 3 bronze - more than any national team won in track and field at the Games, except America itself.
- Now 35, this is his last chance of adding a gold to his two Olympic silvers.
- It has eight gold medals, 14 silvers and 19 bronzes.
- However, the lead was temporary as Germany went ahead with four golds, two silvers and four bronze medals late Sunday (Hong Kong time).
- Great Britain have won nine gold medals, 10 silvers and six bronze.
- Poland and Hungary each earned two golds, one silver, and one bronze.
- The U.S. had 14 gold, 10 silver and 6 bronze medals, while the Jamaicans achieved 2 gold medals and three silvers.
- China had won a total of 11 medals, with three silvers and two bronze, while Australia have won nine.
3(color)plata femininecolor plata masculine
1(made of silver)(bracelet/knife/tray) de plata
2(in color)plateado(hair) canoso(hair) cano literary(hair) de plata literary
3(representing 25 years)silver anniversary/jubilee — el vigésimo quinto aniversario
1(metal) dar(le) un baño de plata a(metal) platear(mirror) azogar
2literary(turn silver-colored)age had silvered her hair — los años le habían teñido el pelo de plata literary
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.