In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They carry a jug and bowl of silver plate, luxury objects of great costliness in ancient Rome, either as a gift for Agrippa or perhaps, as Ebers suggests, to pour a libation before him as if he were a god.
- For unclear reasons there was neither motivation by American flatware manufacturers to transfer the style from silver plate into stainless steel nor demand by consumers for them to do so.
- For example, the thickness of the silver plate that is deposited electrochemically on a spoon is greater if the electrical current is allowed to flow longer.
- The Christogram also appears on items of silver plate, spoons being particularly graced with such symbols, a fact that has been interpreted as evidence of widespread baptism among the upper classes.
- At the top of the stairs rested her throne, wrought of the finest ivory and decorated with gold and silver plate.
2(articles)objetos plateados o con baño de plata
- Cahill's 20-year criminal career is believed to have netted him more than €40m, and Gardai believe some gold bullion and silver plate still lies buried in the Dublin mountains.
- Millions of pounds worth of gold and silver plate was lost.
- The finds from the Shaft Graves at Mycenae contained massive quantities of gold and silver plate, including the gold death mask of Agamemnon.
- He photographed the silver plate, pulled his hands away and put it back in the safe.
- The restoration work on the castle is progressing and he is now calling on her to return the silver plate to its rightful home.
- His men entered dwellings, taking everything of value that could be moved, such as silver plate and jewelry.
- It also means having to repress the vision of oneself staring back that appears in the mirrored surface of the silver plate.
- At this point, he traded with local Inuit for officers' silver plate, the treasured medal making Franklin a Knight Commander of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order, and other relics.
- Valuable furnishings, books, pictures, silver plate, rare china were destroyed in the blaze.
1dar(le) un baño de plata aplatear
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.